Strenght Training

daphoenix
daphoenix Posts: 1
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Why is it I get 0 calories for strenght traning, I was burning and sweating? Just wondering.

Replies

• Strength Training burns very little calories during your workout, or so I've been told by my Trainer, however, the afterburn is WAY greater than that of cardio....
    Good Luck and HAPPY LIFTING!
  • strength training really is not cardio--it is muscle building
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm

You can enter your calories under cardio - strength training.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    I just started strength training and I wear a polar heart rate moniter and I am certainly burning calories. I have been counting them inti my exercise so I hope thats not a mistake.
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    yeah, im not sure why that is. It should have some quantity on it. I think they do have one in the cardio drop down box. but keep lifting! muscle burns more calories!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I just started strength training and I wear a polar heart rate moniter and I am certainly burning calories. I have been counting them inti my exercise so I hope thats not a mistake.

HRMs do not accurately estimate strength training calories - they are only designed to work with constant aerobic exercise like running, rowing, etc. An increased HR while weight training does not result in the same calorie burn as an increased HR while doing aerobic exercises. There is *some* increased burn while lifting weights, but it's nowhere close to any kind of aerobic exercise.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    You may want to do a search for Azdak and his excellent information on why a HRM is not en effective gauge for caloric burn for strength training.

As for strength training being cardio, I would agree it is mis-classified, but you certainly burn calories.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Although HRMs are not the best gauge, there are still HRMs with specific functionality to detect whether you are doing extended workout, such as cardio, or burst workouts, such as strength training. I have a polar which can distringuish between the 2. Personally, I perform interval training, which is very heavy on strength training...except I don't really take breaks between sets and exercises, except for me moving to the next station, machine, etc.

So, strength training can be cardio if you do it right. And HRMs can be accurate "enough" for gauging calorie burn; just know that if you are just lifting weighs and taking 45+ second breaks in-between, expect a 30 min lifting routine to burn maybe 100 calories if you are lucky. And as noted, the key with strength training is not the calories you burn during, but after.
This discussion has been closed.