Calories from ham bone!

Options
quara
quara Posts: 255 Member
Question... I'm making a ham and split pea soup today. I'm currently boiling the ham bone (with lots of meat on it) to make the stock, and then I'll add the peas and onions and cut the rest of the meat off the bone to add back in. I'm trying to figure out what the calories of this might be... there is an entry in the data base for ham bone stock, but it lists 41 calories for 5 cups, and I feel it would be way more than that (with all the fat and marrow in there!). I can weigh the actual ham that I put in when I cut it up, but as for the broth.... any guesses?

Thanks!!

Replies

• khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am making split pea soup with ham bone today and was wondering the same thing. There was a calorie count in the database for 200 a cup which I thought sounded about right. I was going to try and get most the fat off.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    200 cals a cup, just for the stock? i've been trying to find some info online, and I've been finding some sites that say the calories are negligible or that the whole pea soup (with stock and ham, etc) is only 100-200 cals/cup. So maybe it is on the lower side! But skimming the fat (or some of it, still need that good flavour!) is a good idea :)
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    200 cals for the whole thing-peas, etc.
  • luckybarton
    Options
    I just looked up 'ham bone stock' on Google, and for one quart it said over 1400 calories! I threw my bone and stock away! I work too hard for one small bowl of soup to undo my week, and cause swollen feet. Hope this helps!
  • luckybarton
    Options
    I just looked up 'ham bone stock' on Google, and for one quart it said over 1400 calories! I threw my bone and stock away! I work too hard for one small bowl of soup to undo my week, and cause swollen feet. Hope this helps! It was the Food.com recipe
  • amomono
    amomono Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ham bone stock is only about 15-20 calories per cup. It is not a whole lot... even with the fat and marrow. Same with beef or chicken stock. too bad you threw it out... its delicious!!!

I'm adding my whole recipe and since the soup called for chicken stock in addition to the ham stock, I'm just adding the calories from the ham and counting the calories of the chicken stock. You are really just imparting the flavor into the stock and not a ton of additional calories - it is mostly water.