Does Working count?

Options
I work in a hospital on a busy floor most of the time I work out on the floor how ever due to things I am on light duty and working behind the desk. I do how ever have to get up a lot walk to the fax machine to fax all orders and i also have to do other moving such as twisting and bending and such. I lift charts as well at the min of 3lb and up to some times over 8 lbs!! depending on the pt. lol However I was wondering if i can count that in some of my work out and if so how i woould go about doing it? any suggestions?

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend counting it. This activity is part of your daily activity. If it is something you did while gaining weight, then it is probably not a good idea to count it now.
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    i would personally only add stuff that elevates my heart rate and/or makes me sweat . .. anything else is just part of yr daily routine .. hope that helps .
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    When you set your calorie goals, they have different "lifestyle" options. I chose "Sedentary" because I sit at a desk all day. You'll probably want to chose "Active" or something depending on how much you're on your feet. Then it'll adjust your calories accordingly and you won't have to track it every day.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i think depending on the hours you put in I would change "lifestyle" in profile. If you had it at sedentary move it up. I clean houses but when I'm not working I am home sitting so I set my profile at sedentary and add the hours housecleaning as an exercise in my journal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This should be included in your daily activity level when you signed up for MFP.
  • Mission4Life
    Options
    I don't recommend counting it. This activity is part of your daily activity. If it is something you did while gaining weight, then it is probably not a good idea to count it now.

Good point!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I never count anything that I dont do specifically for exercise purposes. My body is already used to doing those other things and wont burn extra calories because I did them.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me that anything done at work wasnt considered exercise. Technially, it is things you do everyday. I dont agree with ppl entering housework as an exercise either, tho. Now if one does a deep cleaning busting their rump, guess that is acceptable. In all reality it is your choice what you want to log or not log. Best of luck.