Looking for motivation!

Options
I am a repeat newby after having joined in June 2010. Now to get serious! I am a lose 10 lbs gain 15 lbs kinda gal. I really need to get off this roller coaster and get serious. I have Type-2 diabetes which I KNOW can be controlled if I would just lose this weight and keep it off. That should be incentive enough right?

Now to get serious and make healthy choices. I did the WW online program and it worked really well, but then I got back on that coaster and took a dive. I gained all but 5 lbs tbs time, sugar is up and energy is low. These old bones are not as young as they used to be making getting up and down from a sitting position on the floor almost a comical act. Gotta change that!

Wishing us all the best of luck in 2011!
Paige

1297564.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Good luck and welcome back! You can do it!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!!
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
    And good luck! I see you have lots of little kiddos on your ticker! Are they all your grandbabies?!
    If so, use them as your motivation!! When times get tough and you feel like giving up, think of their smiling faces and being able to enjoy them and play with them! Don't let your diabetes get the best of you!!
  • mammogirll
    Options
    Hoping you have someone who can do some exercises with you. That's my best motivator. Husband & girlfriends come with me for walks. My step-daughter went with me several times & we were booking it. Left husband in the dust. LOL :D She's back in school now, so friends come with me now. We go to an area that is not out on a main road so all of us do our own pace. As it gets warmer, more friends are joining us. Don't over-do it to where you are hurting yourself. Make sure to stretch before & after. My mother-in-law has bad knees so she was using a treadmill & really did great on it. Hope to hear you are having good results soon. mb:D
  • LucieBear
    LucieBear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I really understand where you coming from. I have been playing yoyo with my weight since I was 15 years old (I am now 45). I lost more weight than my actual weight now. I had a very bad weekend, I posted a blog and got lots of support so I am returning the favour. If you want we can be MFP friends and support each other. I find that I always do better when I have to report to someone to stay on track. I started MFP in September 2009, and have been on again off again since, but now that is enough. No more excuses. So if you are willing, let's do this together?

Welcome back ! You can do this!
  • GrandmaPaige
    Options
    thedeegan4 - 63 lbs!! Great job! What an inspiration you are!

Yes those are my precious grandchildren! I am so in love!!

Thank you all for the kind words and motivation. Several of my coworkers are joining a "Walk Across Tennessee" starting in Feb. We will track our exercise for 8 weeks. So looking forward to it.

I enjoy reading the posts and blogs. They are all so inspirational. Now if I can just commit to log everyday I would be set!! lol

Looking forward to meeting new friends and hopefully I can be that inspiration for someone.

Good luck to us all!!
    Paige

1297564.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • New_ME42
    Options
    Hello Grandma Paige! (I like that, all my grandparents were gone before I was born)

I wish there was a miracle answer for motivation! I think ultimately it has to come from within, but all the support you get from friends & family certianly helps tons! I am 42 & I come from a family who has always had weight issues. I have struggled with weight myself & I have fianally lost all the weight I gained when I was pregnant with my first son (I have 3 boys) & he is 18 now! It wasn't ever the biggest priority because I wasn't "fat", but I certainly wasn't skinny & healthy either.

I have been dating a real, live, certified Personal Trainer for the last 3 years, he would give advice as to what to eat, excersizes to do, all that, so you'd think I'd be in this amazing shape. Nope, not at all! It just didn't click with me. It still wasn't that important! Then a couple months ago I had a exceptionally stressfull couple weeks & I am a non-eater under stressful situations. I dropped like 5 pounds in the matter of a few days, not healthy, I know. I also then started using the treadmill on my lunch hour at work. I found that was my sanity time...no kids, no computer, no phones, no people. Just me & walking! I then started realizing that I really like how I was feeling & how I looked. So I finally found my inside motivation to continue a newer, healthier life style. Also my Mom is 82 & she does nothing...watch TV & breathe. I do not want to be that way when I'm her age!

If I can give some advice...moderation & move. What I mean by that is moderate what you eat...one of our biggest issues with food is not always so much WHAT we eat, but HOW MUCH we eat. Don't deprive yourself from the things you enjoy, just have a smaller portion. Like chocolate...I love chocolate!! Instead of the king size or regular, have a snack size! If you deprive yourself of what you enjoy, you'll begin to resent it & the whole thing is shot out the window. Then move...not excersize...I think that word should almost be considered a swear word! Just move...do what you enjoy. Walking with friends, mowing the lawn, gardening, swimming, dancing in the kitchen with the grandkids...anything that gets you up & moving. And I have to mention that "this" "weight control" has to become a life long change, not just until you loose that 20 pounds or whatever, because once you have lost that weight, you may just go back to the habits you had before & all that hard work will be for naught. Whatever you find that works for you, you have to enjoy it or you'll resent it & won't do it!

We had a speaker come to our work on Tuesday, Chris Freytag, she is a Fitness Trainer and she had a lot of really good stuff in her presentation. Some was stuff I already knew, like the above paragrah, but her talking about it reaffirmed to me that I was on the right track. I'm putting in her website, I think she's worth a look-see. I certainly hope you find your motivation & I hope some of what I said helps & didn't sound to "preachy"! Once in a while reward yourself, for a goal met or for no reason at all! Be good to yourself, for yourself & those that love you!

www.chrisfreytag.com

Take care & best wishes,
    Patty

p.s. sorry this got so lengthy!