Who hates 100 cal snack packs?

Options
I do.

One, they rarely fill me up and why train my brain to eat chocolate? :s (or whatever?)

The only ones I eat are the popcorn ones and I split with Judah so that's only 50 calories. :glasses:

I never buy them. Too expensive, too processed...eh.

I eat an apple when I'm hungry. The only processed snack food I go for is (like listed) popcorn OR coffee (which I consider a snack) or low fat ice cream with fruit.

My snacks are usually >100 calories and I eat like five a day.

Seriously, people...boiled carrots + pepper make a great snack.

Replies

• maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I do.

One, they rarely fill me up and why train my brain to eat chocolate? :s (or whatever?)

The only ones I eat are the popcorn ones and I split with Judah so that's only 50 calories. :glasses:

I never buy them. Too expensive, too processed...eh.

I eat an apple when I'm hungry. The only processed snack food I go for is (like listed) popcorn OR coffee (which I consider a snack) or low fat ice cream with fruit.

My snacks are usually >100 calories and I eat like five a day.

Seriously, people...boiled carrots + pepper make a great snack.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think they are the MOST ridiculous products out there. Some marketing genius slaps a 100 calorie sticker on a box of something and people think it's healthy. It fries me to be honest. They are processed, expensive, and totally unsatisfying! I was checking out a package of beef jerky at the store to take with me hiking. There was one pack that was marketed as 100 calories, the other was the regular beef jerky. And guess what?! For one serving it was only 70 calories! All it took was 5 seconds to look. Your right, grab an apple instead!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do too. I hate wasting money on things that I could portion and do myself. I really don't crave sweets or anything and buying that stuff would just put it in my head that I really wanted it, just because it is in my house.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more! I can't stand 'em. The processed food, the "quick fix" solution which isn't really a solution, and worst of all (in my opinion) , the excess packaging which = more trash for the landfill. It makes me twitch, the same way that seeing those little tiny water bottles does. When did we get so lazy?

Give me two squares of dark chocolate, or an apple, or a banana, or a handful of almonds. Or give me food in bulk and I'll make my own 100 calorie packs!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of liking the crunch...I like my food to talk to me...Snap! Crackle!, Pop! and I spent many a mornings together before school having indepth conversations.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    oh oh oh.... I do! I agree with everyone else. It's a waste of money, packaging, and it's pure laziness (sorry to anyone who uses them). Plus one doesn't fill me up. I'd rather eat a piece of fruit or a spoon of PB and some celery!. I think I've eaten two of those in the last 5 years. You can totally eat healthy without them!!

The best thing I ever did to teach me portion control was split up a bulk bag of mini apple cinnimon rice cakes from sams club into little mini zip loc baggies. I had like 30 mini baggies full of rice chips LOL. But it was a good lesson to learn what a portion actually looked like.
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    IOne, they rarely fill me up and why train my brain to eat chocolate? :s (or whatever?)

I agree - why train my brain that is ok to have these! They are probably full of corn syrup too!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm with you! I am guilty of the popcorn every now and then, but we usually just do kernals in the pot with some EVOO and then sprinkle with sea salt... tastes SO good...

I'll try your carrot snack! I LOVE:
    ... roatsed veg with garlic, and herbs; roasted chick peas with cumin (sooo delish); sliced apples covered with cinnamon; celery dipped in hummus; buckwheat rice cake with 2 teaspoons of PB; tall soy latte (or cows milk latte)... all around 100 cals and all satisfying!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I call them the low tar cigarettes of our generation.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I call them the low tar cigarettes of our generation.

hahahaha...

I was at a playdate with my babes, and had one of the oreo-thins - it was the weirdest taste - nothing like a remember one of the actual creme oreos tasting like! :sick:
  • knitgirl
    knitgirl Posts: 27
    Options
    I think they are the MOST ridiculous products out there. Some marketing genius slaps a 100 calorie sticker on a box of something and people think it's healthy. It fries me to be honest. They are processed, expensive, and totally unsatisfying! I was checking out a package of beef jerky at the store to take with me hiking. There was one pack that was marketed as 100 calories, the other was the regular beef jerky. And guess what?! For one serving it was only 70 calories! All it took was 5 seconds to look. Your right, grab an apple instead!

AMEN!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them when I want junk food with my lunch. I don't buy them that often. I am disciplined enough that if they are in the pantry it's not the first thing I grab. I do eat plenty of fruits and vegetables during the day so I can splurge on 100 calorie junk.
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I disagree on one account

Cliff bar makes 100 cal bars. I usually hate the 100 cal packs but the cliff bar is the perfect snack form work pre gym. I also break it up and put it my yogurt...heaven.

I agree the packs of 100 cals are usually filled with fake foods, flavors and lies.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion control-- If you have the will power to only take 5 pieces of something rather than 25-30 then no need but some people have a problem with contolling their eating. I personally only buy them if they are on sale because they are so expensive i can buy the real thing and just half the portion..

yes it is all about making money- but if people buy it then their plans worked out perfectly..
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I buy the popcorn so I can have a snack at work. Other than that I am just wasting my money. I tried one of the Little Debbie's but ended up eating the whole box within 2 days.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of liking the crunch...I like my food to talk to me...Snap! Crackle!, Pop! and I spent many a mornings together before school having indepth conversations.

Granola, anyone??

LOVE GRANOLA!!!!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Okay.... so now that I think about it I am guilty of buying the 100 calorie popcorn bags. But that's mainly cause I can't eat a whole big bag of popcorn by myself.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I will confess...I use them.

Call me lazy if you want but if I am driving to and from school and am starving, I'd rather have a 100 Cal pack runnin around in my car rather then pullin in to some fast food place.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    the only reason I like them is cause I can buy them in a great bulk quanity, I was on board with them when they first came out but its kinda dwindled off...Id rather eat something more natural and fresh...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I used to buy them a lot when I first started my new lifestyle...they were convenient, already portioned and easy.

I don't eat them much anymore though, just because I think completely different about food and am able to portion things out myself with no problem. I still occasionally get the Quaker mini-cake things...the cinnamon ones! They are so good! LOL!

I tend to measure out a portion of ice cream instead (love the Edy's Light slow-Churned or Breyers Free Double Churned)....and enjoy that. Or, I will toast an english muffin and put a tbsp of nutella on it. That is DEFINITELY dessert!! haha...