Not sure why I am not lsing weight

Options
I have lost 30 lbs in the last 6 months without exercise. I was very sedentary and now have added exercise as of Jan 1st and am not losing weight now. I am very consistent about my food intake. A typical day is yogurt & fruit for breakfast. A vegetable salad & piece of meat (like today: broiled chicken breast) w vinegarette dressing for lunch. Dinner will be a 6 oz steak, grilled pineapple w onions & steamed fresh broccoli. Only beverages are 1 cup of coffee every morning and water. Sometimes I will throw in a diet coke. I exercise hard core for 1 hour every day. Either Zumba, body sculpt, boot camp or step n tone at the gym. I am 5'8" and weigh 218. Any suggestions? I know I am losing inches....but I want that darn scale to move!!!

Replies

• sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi,

If you are losing inches and have increased your exercise routine then you could be converting fat to muscle, muscle is more dense than fat so whilst the weight number is not dropping you will have a improvement with the measurements.

Once you have toned and trimmed up then you will loose fat without putting on the muscle and then the weight should come off.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE

Check this out.

You are gaining lean muscle while still losing fat. Muscle is denser than fat so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. You might put on few pounds as your body adjusts then it will start coming off again. More muscles mean more calorie burning through the day!
  • jAdorelife
    Options
    your probably gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. i know it's hard, i still watch the scale the a hawk, but try not to be a slave to the scale & pay attention to all your other improvements. if your anything like me you probably already made improvements in your endurance. the scale will move, but when it doesnt move as fast as you life try not to be discouraged...there's may improvements that come with getting healthy. good luck!
  • jemorton
    Options
    Your body just might be in shock! OMG what is she doing to me? LOL Exercise?? LOL If you are losing inches that is what counts most of all!! You are toning and building muscle not that you are moving around more. Muscle weighs 2x more than fat. I would have the trainer at your gym do a body fat measurement and get it rechecked every 1-2 months. That is where you will know you are losing fat. The pounds will start coming off again soon. Give them some time to adjust to your new routine. Good luck! Isnt Zumba is so fun isnt it?
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Thanks hpsnickers for posting that blog site. I have been discouraged because everytime I start working out, I gain weight. Today i am at day 15 of 30 day shred- level 2, And I am up 4 lbs!!! My clothes are tight, so I have not lost inches. Just hoping if I continue to push thru it, everything will catch up & I will have the same great results! Seeing the pictures really helped.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue 27lbs gone...then nothing off the scale but still losing inches. Glad you asked this since I have been having the same problem.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been here 3 months and lost and average of 3lbs. Yeah what a bunch of bs and I'm not big to start with.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You may want to talk with one of the trainers/nutrition experts where you're taking classes. Because you have now added exercise, you might not be eating ENOUGH to keep your body happy and burning calories. (Maybe it's conserving because of the workouts!?!)
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Your doing what most people aim to do. Hang tight. Your body is probably responding well to exercise thus creating some much needed muslce.
    Watch the mirror, its the best judge for everyone
  • Michski
    Options
    Great reply's everyone. My thoughts were going the same way...fat turning into muscle, but my calorie intake at the end of the day says I am not eating enough, and my body could be in starvation mode. Which I really just don't believe!!!!