I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - SPRAY?

Options
I remember using this as a teen when it was pretty popular to use for baked potatoes and whatnot. But now that I'm older and read labels, I have noticed that it says, "0" for EVERYTHING! How can "butter" have "0" of everything on the nutrition facts list? So if I use this instead of butter (which I have sworn off, essentially), am I truly consuming no calories?? Is it worth buying this so I can have a little bit of that buttery taste on some of my food?

Replies

• lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I found this posted by an individual on about.com when someone asked a similar questoins (link: http://caloriecount.about.com/buy-cant-believe-butter-ft99154)

"...this stuff is not actually "0 calories" - it's under 5 calories for 5 sprays, so they can legally claim "0 calories" per serving on the label.

*Do not fall into the trap of taking off the sprayer and drizzling it on anything - the reason why it's lower calorie butter flavor is specifically because of the spray mister - that is what the product was designed for. If you're going to drizzle someting, don't waste your money on the spray bottle, get the tub of stuff and melt tablespoons of it in your microwave.

*I personally find that 5-10 sprays does make my food taste different, and it's particularly effective at getting spices and other seasonings to stick.

*As for it being healthy, it depends on how you look at it. It is a highly processed item, so there is something to be said about just using something less complicated like a smaller amount of butter or olive oil. "
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Be VERY careful with this stuff. Here's my story about this stuff (3rd paragraph is the main part) ...

Back in 10/2003 I decided it was time to learn how to eat correctly .. so I began my journey. It took me about 16 months to lose 150+ pounds. I was excited, I could fit in all the popular clothes and could buy clothes "off the shelf" in all the stores I went to! Things were good, I was happy and MUCH healthier.

Fast forward to early 2010 ... In April I started my cardio workouts again (as usual because i usually take the winter off). I had put on a little winter weight, but nothing major or out of the ordinary. I dad my cardio for months and wasn't seeing the normal slimming effects I usually saw by this time. All through the summer, I continued to workout but felt like I was actually LOSING ground. I came to the hard realization that something was wrong when I had to go and by jeans in a size UP from where I was. Even with taking the winter off from cardio and adding a little weight .. I had NEVER had to go up a paint size since I started my lifestyle change in 2003!!

At the time I was using a different website to track my meals and exercise, so I began to really scrutinize my eating habits and evaluate my meals (macro-nutrient numbers) and exercise routine. I couldn't find ANYTHING wrong with my stats, but there were 2 things I couldn't directly "identify" in my meals .. Splenda and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. I did some research on the web, because I felt it was the ICBINBS causing the problem as I was in the habit of drizzling (more pouring) it on my oatmeal and vegetables. I found that 12.5 "sprays" is 10 calories and 1g of FAT, 25 sprays is 20 calories and 2g of FAT and so on. An 8 ounce bottle is 900 calories and 90g of FAT!!!!!! I stopped using the spray altogether and in 2 months, without changing ANYTHING else about my diet, I have lost 25-30lbs and gone done 1 (maybe 2) pants sizes.

That was a long story, I know, but I wanted to share it because I would hate to see other people suffer like I did .. when I can share my experiences and maybe save you some trouble. I am not the only person to be caught by this as the daughter of a co-worker had the same issue and when I told her to stop the ICBINBS .. she started losing weight again as well.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    WattsJA - That's CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you SO much for sharing! Wow......