Zumba

Options
Ok... seriously... how do you calculate calories burned during Zumba? I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find it in MFP =/

Replies

• mckara
    mckara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for a while now and you burn 988 calories per 60 minutes of Zumba, per Zumba. If you are heavier than you probably burn more than that, but even though I am still overweight I usually use the 988 because that is what they (zumba team) says you burn. It is one of the best and funnest workouts I have ever done. I go to a class 2 times a week and have now started to teach it at work for those who want to do it, so I now do it 4 times a week (and I am 256lbs!!!). In the few months I have been doing it, so many people have told me my figure has really changed for the better and that my weight loss is very noticiable. Keep with you you will love it. :wink:
  • kelmc11
    kelmc11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor during Zumba so I know for sure how many I burned. I love that class!!
  • BlueEyedTwin333
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can mark it as dancing... since technically that's what you're doing.
  • srayking
    Options
    IF you figure it out you can add it to the database. So it can help others out.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I don't see how the Zumba team can give a calorie burned per hour across the board for everyone. That's crazy. Everyone processes differently. I would invest in a HRM or log it under high intensity aerobics or something. That way it is calculating based on your information alone.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    awesome... thanks guys! =D
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    id love to try zumba but dont know where they offer classes for it w/o a gym membership in my area....i couldnt find it for the wii at walmart....may go to best buy this weekend to c if they have it...
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down and bought a hrm. I'be been burning between 750 - 850 calories. I'm 5'8 and weigh 229
  • mckara
    Options
    I finally broke down and bought a hrm. I'be been burning between 750 - 850 calories. I'm 5'8 and weigh 229

Zumba says you can burn between 900-1000 calories per hour. I am using the 988 based on the teacher who weighed approx 255 lbs when she started and used a HM and she burned 990 an hour. So since I am 256 I use the same approx.
  • AshlyNichole03
    Options
    What type of heart rate monitor do you have? The wrist ones?
  • mckara
    Options
    id love to try zumba but dont know where they offer classes for it w/o a gym membership in my area....i couldnt find it for the wii at walmart....may go to best buy this weekend to c if they have it...

I have the DVD w/toning sticks and I love them. They really push you further. I have a few friends who got it for her Wii and neither one of them liked it on Wii because it is really hard to use. So you may want to just get the dvd's. The DVD's have 4 different discs that u can use in regards to what you are wanting to do. They have the basic where you learn the steps and on that disc they also have a 20 minute workout, they also have a sculpt and tone disc (for use with either 1 lbs weights or toning sticks) to sculpt and tone up, they also have a disc for your abs and zumba party live, then just the full zumba class. So you really have options with the dvd's. I don't think the Wii game has those. Just thought you might want to know that.
  • shanamalena
    Options
    Yes i am waiting for my HRM also to come in the mail. Thats so you know for sure how many calories, because one person may put more into the workout than another person. If you cant find the ZUmba at walmart, then you can check gamestop or ebgames. I waited it seemed like forever to find one. lol Plus you can buy it at the gamestop website for even cheaper than the store. And you can buy extra belts at Zumba.com. So others can play with ya. But i love it!! Its definetly worth it. Even if you just use it 3 times a week.
  • shanamalena
    Options
    Yes i am waiting for my HRM also to come in the mail. Thats so you know for sure how many calories, because one person may put more into the workout than another person. If you cant find the ZUmba at walmart, then you can check gamestop or ebgames. I waited it seemed like forever to find one. lol Plus you can buy it at the gamestop website for even cheaper than the store. And you can buy extra belts at Zumba.com. So others can play with ya. But i love it!! Its definetly worth it. Even if you just use it 3 times a week.
  • shanamalena
    Options
    The Zumba on Wii suppose to be better than the one on the 360. On the wii on are different levels, and styles that you can choose from. It also teaches you how to do the moves. And it has the party zumba where you go through different levels for challenging yourself to do more. And they get unlocked as you go through the levels. And they have levels from beginnger to Expert to Zumbathons. It is sooo much fun. I love it!! Its the best $40.00 i have spent. lol And it has a monitor on the trainer that lights up as green when you are following his or her steps.
  • shanamalena
    Options
    Oh yeah and one more thing.....lol The game has different timed levels too....from 3 minutes and somthing up to a hour. Plus they have the cooldowns on the game too. So far i have seen 20 minutes, 45 minutes, and 1 hour. Then the certain style of dances could range from 3 minutes and something on up to like 6 minutes. Which I like doing the certain styles of dancing that i like to do, then i will do how ever many i want. To add up to however much i feel like exercising.....Love it!!! And it does not come with the arm weights but its nothing to buy a couple, or even the ankle weights if you wanted them......lol
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My mom gave me a HRM that was wrist only, but I didn't think it was giving me good numbers, so I went to Walmart (i'm on a tight budget) and bought the one they have with a chest strap. You can use it without the strap and I have done both, the chest strap is much easier and I feel more accurate