Need a good chili recipe?

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
Anyone have a good chili recipe that doesn't involve a seasoning packet with all the sodium? I do eat beans so it would just be a meat chili lol...thanks in advance!

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    They have the packets now with 30% less sodium.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i don't have a "recipe" i kind of just throw things in and season to taste, especially because i like things spicy and my husband not too spicy lol... but i brown 1lb ground turkey and onion, throw it into my crockpot with 2 cups red kidney beans, or any beans, throw in mayeb 3/4 cup lentils, a can diced tomato,a can of tomato paste, water to cover, chilli powder, cumin, i would say 3 to 1 ratio chilli to cumin, salt n pepper to taste, i cook it on high about 5-6 hours, you can do it on the stove too
  • eylbrown
    Options
    Hi there, Here's mine - it averages out to 228 calories per serving:

1lb of extra lean ground beef (if you want less calories, use bison or turkey)
    1 regular can of Brown beans in tomato sauce
    1 reg. can of Red Kidney Beans (rinsed)
    1 regular can of diced or stewed tomatoes
    1/2 medium onion
    1 celery stalk
    1 green pepper
    2 carrots
    1 red pepper
    2 cloves garlic
    2-3 roma tomatoes
    some low sodium chicken stalk if more liquid is needed
    3 bay leaves
    Chili spice - as much as you need for your taste but I put in almost 1/4 cup
    1-3 tsp Spanish Paprika (I like the smoky flavour this gives me)

Saute hamburger and veggies seperately in veggie oil spray, then put everything in a pot and let simmer. Chili is always best if made the day before.. When I serve I also put on 1/4 cup of Tex Mex Cheese so with the cheese the calorie count is approx 340 per serving.

Hope this helps
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    Why use a packet at all?!
    Fry your mince/onion/garlic together. Then pour off any fat. Add a can of chopped tomatoes & a can of kidney beans (In the UK you can get them with a spicy sauce which is great!) Add a beef stock cube,about 250ml water (maybe less) a tsp of dry chilli flakes (or more if you like it hot.), some dried mixed herbs and ground pepper. Season to taste. Then simmer for about 30 minutes.

I add tomato purée or harissa paste as well. If I have some calories left over I use red wine instead of water.
    If you want to be unauthentic, but add more veggies, you could add a can of sweetcorn, or sliced mushrooms (fried with the onions), or chopped courgette (also added with the onion)
  • chezkie
    chezkie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here's mine, it's quick too

500g Extra Lean Beef Mince (you could use turkey for less calories/fat etc)
    1 Onion
    Either 1 tbsp oil, or fry light if you're trying to be super lean!
    1 Small can red kidney beans (optional -my dad hates them so I leave them out if I'm feeding him)
    2 400g Cans chopped tinned tomatoes
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp Chilli flakes
    2 tsp Mild Chilli Powder (you can substitute the chilli powder and chilli flakes for 2 red chillies if you prefer)
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp paprika
    2 tsp ground cumin
    Pinch Cayenne Pepper

Fry off the onion in the oil/fry light until transparent
    Add the beef and stir until browned
    Add the tomatoes, spices, tomato puree and beans, and cook over a medium heat until the sauce has reduced and the beans are cooked through - nice and simple :smile:

Sorry if the measurements seem a bit odd - I'm in the UK so we use metric, but I think it's reasonably simple to convert.
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    This from the Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start

"Doc's Chili"

Ingrediants:
    3 cups chopped yellow onion (I just use one large)
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon mustard powder (I use regular mustard and it works fine)

Coat a large sauce pan with cooking spray. Add onions and cook over med-high heat until they are soft and starting to brown. Add the ground turkey, breaking up the meat with a spoon, cook for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, pinto and black beans, broth, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and mustard. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.

Garnish with scallions or cilantro.

This is my absolute FAVORITE chili...I ate this even when I was not dieting...it's the chili recipe my family begs me to make!!
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone...can't wait to try it!