"Free" day - what your thoughts on one?

Options
I started 3 weeks ago...wondering what your thoughts are on one "free" day a week? I've heard people talk about how they do this on here and wondering who has success with that. I stick to my 1200 a day and sometimes exercise (3-4 times a week) burning an average of 300 calories those days. I usually eat at least 1/2 of my excersie calories. I have heard a few times that giving yourself a "free" day (within reasonable limits) can boost your metabolism and actually help with the weight loss process. For those who do it, have you noticed results? How many calories extra do you eat for those days? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't have a free day but my wife and I have our "cheat meal" every Friday night. That is the one meal of the week that I don't pay attention to calories and eat whatever the heck I want. I normally don't go TOO far overboard, but a nice juicy burger and beer or wings or something like that is a great treat after a week of work and workouts. I think you HAVE to let yourself splurge from time to time or you'll go nuts. It's not realistic to say you will NEVER eat something bad. Just limit yourself. Remember, everything in moderation.

As for how it affects weight loss, well, I do my weigh-ins every Friday morning so that I have all week to work the cheat meal off. To this point, I have lost weight every week. I only lose a pound or a pound and a half at a time but that's the healthiest way to do it anyway and I'm fortunate enough that I don't have a whole lot to lose right now.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I'm not a big supporter for "free" days. There are so many other things you can do to keep losing weight :smile:
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My "free" day is on Sunday and Ive been fine on my weight loss.. :smile:
  • jmncolts
    Options
    Good question!! I would like to know too!!
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count my calories on the weekend. I still try to eat smart and really think about my portion size, but I do allow myself more flexability those days and then hit it hard again during the week. I need to have those "off days", otherwise I would go crazy. I have managed to loose 25lbs doing it this way. But again, I don't go and binge eat at an all you can eat buffet, or go crazy with food, I still think about what I am eating, I just don't log it. :smile:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have free days but for me personally I can't do it. It leads me back to overeating, splurging, and gaining the weight back... I guess it just depends on what works for you!
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    have not had any free days so far, but I am craving something sweet all of the time. I feel like if I try to have a free day I will gain anything I have lost and then lose my motivation. I have thought that maybe when I get in my routine a little more than maybe I can have my sweet treat and it won't effect anything. What do you all think??
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I personally am not planning a "free" day. I think it is equivalent to planning to fail. However I also refuse to deprive myself of something I really want. If I want something bad enough I will figure out its calories and do the math as to how much extra work I will need to put in to work it off. If I still want to eat it after knowing all this I will but I'm going to do the work that is necessary.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I don't have a free day but my wife and I have our "cheat meal" every Friday night. That is the one meal of the week that I don't pay attention to calories and eat whatever the heck I want. I normally don't go TOO far overboard, but a nice juicy burger and beer or wings or something like that is a great treat after a week of work and workouts. I think you HAVE to let yourself splurge from time to time or you'll go nuts. It's not realistic to say you will NEVER eat something bad. Just limit yourself. Remember, everything in moderation.

As for how it affects weight loss, well, I do my weigh-ins every Friday morning so that I have all week to work the cheat meal off. To this point, I have lost weight every week. I only lose a pound or a pound and a half at a time but that's the healthiest way to do it anyway and I'm fortunate enough that I don't have a whole lot to lose right now.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!

I do the same thing! Since I weigh in on Friday mornings (for myself and our challenge) I use Friday night as a "cheat" meal. Usually my beau and I will go out to eat. I also try and not go overboard. Last Friday we went out to Max and Ermas and I got a smaller burger (my FAVE) and fruit salad instead of fries. I had some beer and that was it! I went to the gym over the weekend because I felt kind of guilty but I'm going to try to not feel that way. I feel I deserved that! and compared to how I've eaten in the past (which was anything I wanted, ever, at any time) I'd say it's a big improvement!
  • onvacation
    onvacation Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can blow a great week with a free day on the weekend which usually means free DAYS!

I do think a cheat meal every now and then helps keep you on track!

Guess you just have to figure out what works for you!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I use a free dayI dont think I could do it without it.It gives me something to look forward to and helps me not fall of track the rest of the week.I just started on this site but befor I started here I had lost 40 pounds and that was with cheat days.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    have not had any free days so far, but I am craving something sweet all of the time. I feel like if I try to have a free day I will gain anything I have lost and then lose my motivation. I have thought that maybe when I get in my routine a little more than maybe I can have my sweet treat and it won't effect anything. What do you all think??

I think it's ok to work in something sweet into your daily goal...maybe exercise and earn some extra daily calories and then treat yourself so you're not dealing with a sweet craving every day. Maybe your body is trying to tell you that you need some extra sugar now and then. Good luck!
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    I need these to stay motivated, something to look forward to. I also don't exercise on cheat days. Well, it's a cheat day, i'm gonna enjoy it! :bigsmile: Yup, I still manage to lose weight. :wink:
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I wouldn't go with a whole free day, more like one reasonable free meal, like every other week, but if I'm having a craving for something I don't deprive myself, for example, if you want a hershey bar for a 100 cal snack, only eat 1/3 of a try size bar.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My first introduction to dieting and exercise was through the "Body for Life" program several years ago. A huge drawing factor for many people is that the program advocates being rigid about diet and exercise 6 days a week, then giving yourself a "free day". I had tremendous results on the program.

I know a lot more about fitness than I did at that point, and today I don't 100% advocate the BFL program; but honestly it's going to boil down to your personal preference. There is just too much proof out there that a "free day" once in awhile will not negatively affect your overall weight loss. I think the bigger question is how it affects overall health when we eat junk/ less healthy foods. Remember that it is entirely possible to be slim but not healthy.
  • sdsmart
    sdsmart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me a free day doesn't work cos it brings back all my cravings for sweet, salty, greasy etc. instead of satisfying it and I feel like it all week :(
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I started 3 weeks ago...wondering what your thoughts are on one "free" day a week? I've heard people talk about how they do this on here and wondering who has success with that. I stick to my 1200 a day and sometimes exercise (3-4 times a week) burning an average of 300 calories those days. I usually eat at least 1/2 of my excersie calories. I have heard a few times that giving yourself a "free" day (within reasonable limits) can boost your metabolism and actually help with the weight loss process. For those who do it, have you noticed results? How many calories extra do you eat for those days? :flowerforyou:
    I dont agree with a "free" food day or cheat meal..but I do agree with a day off for rest in regards to exercise..I think accountability plays a key role in success and when we stop being accountable thats when we encounter setbacks..If your living by a set caloric intake then I think you definately need to include even the bad choices and be accountable. Not logging them doesnt take away from the fact that you consumed them.
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    My husband is attempting to lose weight also and he has a 'free' meal on Friday nights where he eats pizza/wings and soda. Me personally I can't do that. If I let myself eat unhealthy, I spiral downward and that makes eating unhealthy for the next meal all the more of a danger. I am an 'all or nothing' person. Either I'm 100% eating healthy and exercising - or I'm not. It really is whatever works for you. Some people say that moderation is the only way to go to keep from binging... but I don't binge... but one meal makes the next one difficult to get back on track. Also, if I eat unhealthy, I will not want to run or work out and then when I don't, I don't have anything to hold me accountable to eating well and then I'm all off track. My husband's system works well for him and mine works well for me. Depends on if you think you can handle it without going overboard. Good luck though!! :smile:
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my free day!!!!! However, you have to make sure that a free day doesn't mean eating 3 fast food super sized meals and a box of twinkies!!!! My free day is always on Sunday and I go to my aunts house for dinner of which is nearly impossible to count the calories. Then I treat myself to one normal size candy bar or a single serve brownie. It has worked for me!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't diet on Fridays. I have adhered to this since beginning my weight loss "journey" in February 2009.

However, there are two conditions to my "cheat" days:

1. I practice self-discipline. If this is an area in which you know you need work, "cheat" days might not be a good idea for you. My mom, for example, tends to go back to overeating if she lets herself relax for a day. You can't allow that to happen.

2. I don't go crazy. If I go out to eat on Friday night, I order what I want and enjoy it -- but I still remain aware of my portions and the messages my body sends me, and I stop when I'm full and box up the rest.