Low Carb Question: Do snacks count as a meal?

Options
Hello fellow low carbers and all dieters alike :happy:

Been brushing up on my low carb induction rules and was reminded that I'm supposed to be eating 3-4 meals a day until I'm satisfied so the body doesn't think I'm starving myself. Well, I'm having trouble eating that much. I work in an office and I can't just simply eat a "meal" on my desk in between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and the time I go home. I simply can't. I can however, have some snacks which is what I've been doing so far. Not to mention, now that I have been on the diet for almost 2 weeks, I hardly feel hungry anymore.

My question is, does snacking in between breakfast, lunch and dinner count as a "meal"? If that's the case, then I think I'm doing ok, but if it doesn't, then I'm going to have to start taking some breaks to get to the cafeteria.

Replies

• vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would say yes... that is what I do...have a snack between breakfast and lunch and then between lunch and dinner
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I count my snacks as a meal. if you are eating that many times a day, your meals will start to get smaller as well, and look more like snacks. This past Saturday I ate nearly constantly from 8am to 1pm it was a long drawn out food eating bonanza. I got a few comments from my wife about my constant eating, but I was diligently tracking it. Carrots and yogurt and fruit, it was not that many calories in the end.

for work, things I snack on at my desk:
    granola bar
    yogurt
    apple
    kiwi
    carrots
    fruit cups
    premade snack pack of assorted fruit and veggies
    Wegman's fiber essentials cereal, the best thing ever - dry (the little stick cereal, 50cal for a 1/2 cup serving)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly snacking, yet staying under/at my calorie limit. Don't focus so much on the term "meal" it just is the act of eating but sounds a bit healthier/ more complete than "snack." My "meals" consist of hummus, cottage cheese, crackers, protein shake, or fruit, but sometimes can also be a sandwich, left overs, or even a salad. What you call it isn't as important as spreading out your calories during the day and staying at your intake number. Good luck!
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    I usually have 2-3 snacks a day in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think it is more important to keep track of the actual calories consumed throughout the day then whether there are 3, 4, or 5 "meals".
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Absolutely--just make sure they are low-carb snacks, maybe a cheese stick or 2, pork rinds in a baggie, some nuts.

Not sure how low you are keeping your carbs, so that really depends on what you can bring in for snack.
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Absolutely--just make sure they are low-carb snacks, maybe a cheese stick or 2, pork rinds in a baggie, some nuts.

Not sure how low you are keeping your carbs, so that really depends on what you can bring in for snack.

Currently in induction, so keeping it to 20 carbs a day. I snack on cheese, cold cuts, and nuts (I limit it to 1 oz to-go packs). Thinking of making my own snacks too based on some recipes I found.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Your doing fine try not to focus on whether or not your eating 3 meals and focus on the calorie goal. As long as your within your daily goal for the day snack all you want!