Too much fiber???

Options
I've always eaten a lot of fiber (between 25-35g a day) but lately I have been getting 35-45g a day (completely unintentionally) and have been having problems... well... ya know :blushing:

I drink atleast 64z of water a day, if not much more (its pretty much the only thing I drink). I don't think I need more fiber, but I'm confused.... I thought fiber was supposed to make things flow a little smoother LOL? Whats up?

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I've always eaten a lot of fiber (between 25-35g a day) but lately I have been getting 35-45g a day (completely unintentionally) and have been having problems... well... ya know :blushing:

I drink atleast 64z of water a day, if not much more (its pretty much the only thing I drink). I don't think I need more fiber, but I'm confused.... I thought fiber was supposed to make things flow a little smoother LOL? Whats up?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    because there is a difference between enough and too much-- Also you should check your proten intake if your eating too much protein it could how can I say this lock up traffic lol..
  • TashaKnight
    TashaKnight Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should get it back down to the range your body is used to.

And HOW on EARTH do you manage 35 g fibre and 64 oz water a day? You're super healthy! :wink:
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Maybe you should get it back down to the range your body is used to.

And HOW on EARTH do you manage 35 g fibre and 64 oz water a day? You're super healthy! :wink:

The water is easy... it's the only thing I drink (besides the very occasional cup of coffee or skim milk) and I'm always thirsty. And I eat Fiber One cereal for breakfast, which has 13g of fiber a cup. Plus I munch on vegies and fruits all day. So between all that I somehow managed 40g of fiber yesterday.

The Protein may be an issue too. i wasn't getting enough protein and just recently hiked it up as well... over 100g. Soooo.... my poor bowels don't know what to do LOL.

Oy. :laugh:
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    Options
    I heard that getting too much fiber can cause your system to slow down.

Below is info I found at: medlineplus.com

The average American now eats 10 - 15 grams of fiber per day. The recommendation for older children, adolescents and adults is 20 - 35 grams per day. Younger children will not be able to eat enough calories to achieve this, but introducing whole grains, fresh fruits and other high fiber foods is suggested.

Eating a large amount of fiber in a short period of time can cause intestinal gas (flatulence ), bloating, and abdominal cramps. This usually goes away once the natural bacteria in the digestive system get used to the increase in fiber in the diet. Adding fiber gradually to the diet, instead of all at one time, can help reduce gas or diarrhea.

Too much fiber may interfere with the absorption of minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and calcium. However, this effect usually does not cause too much concern because high-fiber foods are typically rich in minerals

There are two forms of fiber: soluble and insoluble.

Soluble fiber attracts water and turns to gel during digestion. This slows digestion. Soluble fiber is found in oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables. Soluble fiber has been scientifically proven to lower cholesterol, which can help prevent heart disease.

Insoluble fiber is found in foods such as wheat bran, vegetables, and whole grains. It appears to speed the passage of foods through the stomach and intestines and adds bulk to the stool.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I heard that getting too much fiber can cause your system to slow down.

Below is info I found at: medlineplus.com

The average American now eats 10 - 15 grams of fiber per day. The recommendation for older children, adolescents and adults is 20 - 35 grams per day. Younger children will not be able to eat enough calories to achieve this, but introducing whole grains, fresh fruits and other high fiber foods is suggested.

Eating a large amount of fiber in a short period of time can cause intestinal gas (flatulence ), bloating, and abdominal cramps. This usually goes away once the natural bacteria in the digestive system get used to the increase in fiber in the diet. Adding fiber gradually to the diet, instead of all at one time, can help reduce gas or diarrhea.

Too much fiber may interfere with the absorption of minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and calcium. However, this effect usually does not cause too much concern because high-fiber foods are typically rich in minerals

There are two forms of fiber: soluble and insoluble.

Soluble fiber attracts water and turns to gel during digestion. This slows digestion. Soluble fiber is found in oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables. Soluble fiber has been scientifically proven to lower cholesterol, which can help prevent heart disease.

Insoluble fiber is found in foods such as wheat bran, vegetables, and whole grains. It appears to speed the passage of foods through the stomach and intestines and adds bulk to the stool.

Great info!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this once - he said you can't get too much fiber. Most people in other countries get way more fiber than we do. I average about 50 grams a day. I guess the only thing that would block you up is not getting enough fat. But that's guess work on my part.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    A drastic increase in fiber could cause....blockage issues as well. You should increase fiber gradually not go from minimal to "maximum" within a small time frame.

B
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    A drastic increase in fiber could cause....blockage issues as well. You should increase fiber gradually not go from minimal to "maximum" within a small time frame.

B

this is true!!! or at least what my GI doc told me....but was also told I should try to get between 35 and 45 gms a day. Which I do and since I increased slowly no issues LOL....good luck!
    hugs,
    Ali
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You're probably just getting adjusted.

What *kind* of fiber?
  • flcaoh
    Options
    You're probably just getting adjusted.

What *kind* of fiber?

I'm not really sure what you mean by kind... but the sort of things that I eat include fruits, vegies, trail mix stuff (nuts, berries, etc), I also eat Fiber one cereal, occasionally oatmeal, etc, etc. Is that what you mean?