Hungry!

Options
I have been doing great for the past weeks, eating well and working out. For the past two days I have been starving!!! It feels like I can't even wait three hours to eat. I drink about two liters of water daily so I am trying to not give in.

Replies

• fatBgone80
    Options
    I know the feeling, I just started so my belly is not use to good food. lol

but to help me through out the day, I just eat fruits every two hours.
    I had breakfast @ 7:30, then i had a fruit at 9:30 then I will have another fruit @ 11:30, then my lunch is at 1:30. That help me, I hope it works for you.
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Try adding in some veggie snacks ... raw carrot, celery or bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, etc. They help to fill you up between meals without making a big dent the the calorie count.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Same here! I've had a rubbish couple of days and managed to pick myself back up today. I feel I need to take my mind off it my doing something like walking the dog or tidying up and if I sit down to watch the TV I'll want to pick at something! I'm on my 3rd week on here and I think this has been the toughest yet!
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm going to do now with the veg and have less fruit as my sugar intake appears to be high from the amount of fruit I eat, though all good sugars though.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think the hunger pain is good to feel, but not for an extended time. I have snacks at the ready that are there to hold me over. Fruit, veggies, or low calorie fiber cereal. Also a big glass or water, or a cup of tea works wonders.
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That happens to me now and again. I have two suggestions. Either power through with any of the good suggestions already posted, or, eat something, anything, so long as it's healthy. Your body may be telling you something. People on this board talk about zig zag dieting, and sometimes "zagging" is necessary. Go ahead and have a day where you go over your allotted calories. You will likely have a better time after that staying under and you won't be starving. It's about being healthy, not starving.
  • ejschantz85
    Options
    I know how that feels and it's difficult. Right now I am doing something that it super healthy and keeps me full all day. What I do is keep cups or small Tupperware containers filled with fruit or veggies, but they tend to be pureed. For example unsweetened applesauce, you can buy them by the 6 pack at the grocery store. Buy some frozen green beans or veggies and mash them or leave them cooked as is if you prefer.

You can also try foods that are more filling such as anything high in fiber or protein. For instance Cliff Bars are nice. For me, I find these to be too heavy on my stomach and I have a really sensitive stomach so that is why I changed to veggies and fruit instead.

Hunger can be brought on by too few fluids but it appears as if you are drinking enough water. If that's the case make sure you are getting enough calories, but the right kinds. Empty calories won't give your body sustainability and good healthy energy so be wise with your choice of foods.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is fibre. I use Fibre Sure by Metamucil....you can add it to your water , coffee or food like yogurt or whatever...it does not change the texture or taste.....and it helps fill you up and has helped me add the missing fibre in my diet. It is only 5 calories per tsp....
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Popcorn!!! Eat 94% fat free popcorn (I like the Kettle Corn). It has almost no calories but it totally fills you up and carries you over til your next meal. It's been a life saver to me when dieting! It's marvelous :)
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!! :-)
  • mkrafick
    Options
    Another trick I was taught is that when I have that "OMG I am hungry" moment - eat protien, it helps you feel full, is harder to turn into fat, and keeps the "I'm hungry" feeling away longer.

I keep "Hillshire Farms Ultra Thin sliced Turkey" around - it's low calorie and needed protien. When I get that feeling you describe, it snack on it. If you can spare 100-200 cal, look to yogurt, or a protien shake.

Also - did you change your diet so you are eating 5x a day? (i.e. 3 meals and 2-3 snacks). If so, this is actually a good sign - it takes a few weeks of that for your body to get used to it, but it eventually ramps up your metabolism, and your stomach goes on a clock. It knows snack time and if you even miss that snack time by 15 min, you go from "I'm a little hungry" to "gnaw on your arm". Eat a little protien with each snack, and it should help. If you can work through it a few days, your body understands and it isn't as overhwelming.

Someone mentioned zig-zag dieting. I have been dieting for a year now (with stregth training and cardio) and my trainer just switched me to zig-zag dieting about 3 months ago. It seems to make a big difference for me. My calorie goal is 1700 - one day I eat 1500, the next 2000, the following 1700, etc. It made me a little nervous on the scale at first because I could see a .5 increase for a day or two, but then I would drop again. Over the period of a week or two you saw the cumlative effect was going down and at a good clip too.

A a side note, are you giving yourself a calorie bump when you are actively working out? Your body needs that to recover - maybe not as much as MFP suggests, but it does need something.

Good luck and stay with it!
  • New_ME42
    Options
    I have those days, about once a month, every month!! Hmmmm...I think it coincides with something else!

I like the popcorn idea or try chewing gum. Sometimes it's not that I'm hungry, but my mouth wants to eat!

Good luck!!
  • mnheather
    mnheather Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am in Northern Minnesota where the temp is 22 below zero. Yes, feel free to envy me. :laugh: I find when I get the munchies I head to my sugar free apple cider. It warms me up and makes my tummy feel better. Like everyone has already posted, keep good snacks handy for those times when you really want to munch. Keep the carrots and celery cut up otherwise you aren't going to reach for them when you want to snack. I am lazy so I just buy the pre-cut veggies.