Shakes- Advice

Options
I'm interested in adding a good protein shake to my diet for the days that I have hard workouts. I need to lose a good amount of weight by April 16, but I need to do it in such a way that I am able to continue to build muscle and maintain as much strength as possible. Any recommendations?

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in adding a good protein shake to my diet for the days that I have hard workouts. I need to lose a good amount of weight by April 16, but I need to do it in such a way that I am able to continue to build muscle and maintain as much strength as possible. Any recommendations?

I drink Shakeology on a daily basis as a meal replacement shake. But it also has 17 grams of protein, as well as other goodies....
  • JCraigHood
    Options
    I agree with Stooo. Shakeology through Beachbody.com is a good product. I use it as a meal replacement. I order the chocolate base, add it to soymilk (regular milk tastes just fine). You can add a half banana and tablespoon of peanut butter in a blender for a treat. I have good energy levels, no cravings, and I've lost weight.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you aren't using it as a meal replacement, and more a supplement/snack; I use Gold Standard's "Vanilla Ice Cream" flavor - delicious. Met-Rx isn't bad either, but just be careful of sugar content. I have heard a lot of people recommend "soy protein" bases too, but haven't tried them (takes a while to get through a big bottle of whey)
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I just posted t on another thread - "My Favorite Shakes"

I've been using:
    Super Advanced Whey Protien by Body Fortress
    (Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Cookies and Cream)

$14.00 at Wal-Mart for a 2lb jug of Powder.

I HATE whey drinks because of the taste - but this one tastes just like a shake, no nasty aftertaste. I usually mix it with 2% Milk or Soymilk for the additional protien. Mix in Peanut butter, strawberrys or banannas, or even a small shot of chocolate syrup after a workout.

1 Scoop (not including Milk) - 140Cal; 2g Fat; 4g Carbs; 26g Protien

If I am replacing a meal, I mis 1.5-2 scoops, or add something like peanut butter for the calories.
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the advice. Your posts raise another question: should I be using a shake as a meal replacement or as a supplement?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your goals. I have a shake post workout. Aim for .25g protein per lb bw and .5g carbs per lb bw. I use a generic whey protein isolate. Way cheaper!