24 g of Sugar, Are they serious?

Options
My daily sugar intake is set at 24 g. What am I to do? I ate a yellow apple today and it was 16g of sugar (and I thought i was eating healthy). Is only eating 24g possible? if so please give me some suggestions. Thanks Bunches!

Replies

• prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. know I am eating a whole lot healthier than before so I am not striving for prefection because it seem unrealstic.
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    don't worry about sugar intake from fruit - only sugar from other items. Fruit sugar is processed differently.

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it :) I don't include my sugar count in my diary, so I don't even bother to track it. I live by the rule of "don't eat processed sugary crap" and thats good enough for me when it comes to counting sugars.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about fruit sugars. MFP does not separate the sugars from say a twinkie and an apple.
  • cookiejones
    Options
    I agree. I tend not to include fruit sugar in my sugar count. I don't know if that's right, but there is no way I'm not eating a mango cuz it has too much sugar. Yum.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The way I understand the sugar goal is that it is for your added sugars... not natural sugars found in fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed foods.

If you eat bread made with sugar (and almost every single loaf of bread has sugar in it) then that is an added sugar... any sugars that are added to processed foods go towards your goal.

I am always "over" on my sugars b/c of the fruit I eat... to get an accurate calculation of where I stand in relation to my sugar goal- I subtract the sugars listed for my fruits (aka the natural sugars) from the total... that gives me my added sugar intake.

Processed food makers are not obligated to separately list added and natural sugars on their products... that is probably why MFP doesn't separate natural and added sugars either... if they accounted for natural sugars in the sugar column as well... the goal would be much higher and unknowingly someone would possibly eat wayyyyyy too much added sugars instead just trying to meet that goal.

I hope this makes sense!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars in things like fruit , low-fat milk and other whole foods don't count. Only look at "added" sugars that will be listed on ingredient panels. Anything that ends in "ose" (dextrose, fructose, glucose, lactose, maltose, sucrose) plus corn sweetener, corn syrup, malt, malt syrup, fruit juice concentrate, molasses, etc. Unfortuanately nutrition panels do not separate natural vs. added sugars but instead lumps them all together.