need exercise ideas please.

Options
Hello,
I have been on MFP for a while and with the new year have decided to do my best to eat better. I'm doing better at that but my problem now is exercising. I work at an office from 730 to 430 everyday and then after I either work at a restaurant (talk about temptation) or go to night classes two nights a week. I want to workout but just don't see where i can fit it into my life right now. I would really appreciate some ideas on some quick exercises I can do. Thanks!

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Geez Woman!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You will have to be VERY disciplined with your time to fit it in. I would be exhausted with that schedule, and trying to fit a work out in would be a challenge. If you have a gym near your work or school, that would help. If you're a morning person (or even if not), I would try to get your workout done right away in the morning. That way, it's done, out of the way, and you don't have to worry at 7 pm, when you're dead tired, how you're going to fit it in. It's too easy to want to relax, sleep, eat, watch tv, after a long day. If you don't have access to a gym, but you have some room in your place, you could get some good work out videos. Just get up an hr earlier than you have to normally, have your workout clothes ready (lay them out the night before), and get moving. It will be hard at first, but soon you'll miss it if you don't do it.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Well you could start small - start by parking your car as far away as possible from the entrance of your work, the store, the school etc.

You could add in walks around your lunch hour and in between work schedules

and you could try to get up earlier in the morning to fit a video in or walk?
  • blakjac6
    Options
    you are verrrrry busy! i would suggest 10 minute pilates at home then. it incorporates planks, flexers, and alot of other ways that your body is get into better shape :)
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Don't know about your commute or if you have kids to wrestle in the morning but getting up 45 minutes earlier then you do now would allow you to do a workout DVD before getting ready in the morning.
  • satxfitbody
    Options
    If you want a very, very fast workout that burns fat off your body and gives you a better cardiovascular workout than running a few miles, plus (depending on which exercises you pick), can also build strength and speed - look no further than tabata intervals.
    So let’s get into exactly what a tabata interval actually is.

In it’s simplest form, a tabata interval is 20 seconds of high intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest.

You can pretty much do it however you’d like.

For example:
    Round 1 - Pushups 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
    Round 2 - Squats 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
    Round 3 - Pullups 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
    Round 4 - Burpees 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
    Repeat all 4 rounds, and you’re done!

By the way, you can buy a cheap timer to use that will automatically beep for you at specific intervals (that you can set) at www.gymboss.com

Now I have to admit, people who are really out of shape probably shouldn’t be doing tabata intervals. Tabata intervals can get you up to some pretty high heart rates and exhaust your body completely, so please have at least some type of fitness background before you try a tabata interval.

If you’re one of these people, you might want to try doing a tabata interval at half your intensity and working your way up in intensity levels until you’re pretty much going all out.

I hope this helps!!! :-)
  • stephcorona
    stephcorona Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the ideas. I think im going to try waking up a little early to use my elliptical, its going to be rough at first but it should get easier right?! lol I sure hope so.
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    If you want a very, very fast workout that burns fat off your body and gives you a better cardiovascular workout than running a few miles, plus (depending on which exercises you pick), can also build strength and speed - look no further than tabata intervals.

In it’s simplest form, a tabata interval is 20 seconds of high intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest.

For example:
Rest 10 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
Rest 10 seconds

By the way, you can buy a cheap timer to use that will automatically beep for you at specific intervals (that you can set) at www.gymboss.com

Now I have to admit, people who are really out of shape probably shouldn’t be doing tabata intervals. Tabata intervals can get you up to some pretty high heart rates and exhaust your body completely, so please have at least some type of fitness background before you try a tabata interval.

If you’re one of these people, you might want to try doing a tabata interval at half your intensity and working your way up in intensity levels until you’re pretty much going all out.

I'm going to look into this. I'm one of those who would have to start at half intensity but it sounds interesting to me.
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options

For example:
Rest 10 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
Rest 10 seconds

Agreed!

Sax- This is more along the lines of what I was expecting my trainer to come up with. Sad that he couldnt. BUT the internet is a wonderful place full of ideas!!

Steph- I totally understand the no time thing. I work full time nights (11pm-7am), go to school during the day 4x a week and physical therapy (shoulder injury) once or twice a week. For me its about motivation to add it in. Some posters have had great ideas about parking farther away and walking on your lunch break. Also take the stairs and not the elevator and if you go to the store for a few things get a basket and not a cart. Dont try to fit in a workout on the 2 nights a week you have class. You'll burn out. Use the elliptical you have (ooooh how I wish I had one!) even if for just 30 minutes a day. Then try some more intense things on the weekends. The above workout sounds like a great quick workout!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    KETTLEBELL!!!! I bought a 10 pound one at wal mart for $16.77 and it came with a DVD work out. You can burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. I really had fun with it!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you want a total body workout in less then 25 minutes, I'd go with Jillian's 30 Day Shred. If you can get up early enough to do it, you'll have results in no time.
  • stephcorona
    stephcorona Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I actually got the 30 day shred a couple weeks ago and just started level 2 today and i love it. Its still hard getting up in the morning but i feel great after.
  • danicajt
    danicajt Posts: 18
    Options
    i will look into this too! sounds like my type of video.