PSA - Fiber One Bars

Options
2»

Replies

• hardybelle83
    Options
    It's the chicory root in them... lots of products add that in there for the extra fiber content, but a lot of people's digestive systems (mine included) cannot tolerate it. Not to mention all the other artificial junk in them. But, definitely, if you have a sensitive system, avoid those "Fiber" products that have chicory root as one of the first few ingredients... DANGER!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I was being affected by them last week on the way home from bowling. 65 mph with 2 windows down and a outside temperature of 13 degrees. All I could do was apologize to my buddy. I never eat them if I have a business meeting or a date night with Wifey.

:bigsmile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's the chicory that they contain. I used to eat them but they just don't work well when doing Taekwondo!

Well, I never tried the jumping kicks after eating one. Maybe I would've jumped higher! Lol!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the same applies to the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars? Has anyone experienced that? I do not eat them that often- but I'll have one every now and then. Thanks for the PSA!
  • vanishingirl77
    Options
    They've never affected me negatively, but I only have one or even less a day....

BUT, my husband got up in the middle of the night a few nights ago and ate about 6 of them in a five minute time frame as a midnight snack...not thinking about the fiber part.

So the next morning, when he was complaining that he was getting sick...while eating a Fiber One bar, I asked him how many he had eaten....and then after he told me I just laughed and laughed.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup in it (and any sort of hydrogenated oils), so these are a no-no on my list. You could actually make your own "fiber bars" though if you really wanted. Some rolled oats, chopped nuts, seeds, dates or raisins, organic dark chocolate chips, honey, etc... Yummy!

Otherwise, we do like the Sunrise Energy bars from Costco. Lots of fiber and lots of good ingredients.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I wonder if the same applies to the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars? Has anyone experienced that? I do not eat them that often- but I'll have one every now and then. Thanks for the PSA!

I find them to just as effective w/less side effect.
  • beckijtn
    Options
    Hilarious! but I can totally relate. I have IBS and steer clear of ANYTHING with the "rough fiber". :embarassed:
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I was being affected by them last week on the way home from bowling. 65 mph with 2 windows down and a outside temperature of 13 degrees. All I could do was apologize to my buddy. I never eat them if I have a business meeting or a date night with Wifey.

:bigsmile:

That made me laugh SO hard!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Add me to the "never had a problem" list. I have a couple stashed in my car as emergency snacks, and eat about 1-2 bars per week. I also have Kellogs Bran Buds cereal with my breakfast each morning. I don't recall ever having a problem with either type of fiber, I only have problems when I don't get ENOUGH fiber!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love the Kelloggs Fiber Plus bars and have one most days at breakfast. I didn 't know it, but my teen daughter was eating 2 every morning. Figured it out after she complained about "going" 5 times a day! I'm an evil mommy, cuz a laughed like a loon. :laugh: That's what you get for eating my stuff! :wink: