Overtraining?

Options
Well, I came out of the gates fast and have lost 20 lbs in 17 days since joining this site. Been eating very consistently and haven't gone over my calorie count one day. I've also been going to the gym consistently as well. However, this past Tuesday I decided to start weight training sooner than I initially wanted. I most definitely overdid it because I couldn't move the next day and last night I started running a fever, etc. By this morning I was having cold sweats at work, so I decided to call it a day and go to a local clinic. He basically told me it was a sinus/ear infection and gave some antibiotics to get over it. I asked him if it was possible to actually make yourself sick by training too much and not enough daily calories. He said no and almost acted like I was lying about running a fever saying that fever doesn't typically come with a sinus infection. My wife took my temperature last night because I was shivering and having cold sweats most of the night, it was 102. I knew I should have eased into the weights aspect of working out, but you know how it is when you get that adrenaline going and think you're 21 again. As for eating, I've not been eating enough, I know that. I've been averaging 1200-1500 calories a day and I need to get that up to around 1900, especially when working out. But my point is, can overtraining and not eating enough cause your immune system to be all screwed up? I don't normally get sick and haven't been to a doctor in over a year.

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the overtraining and getting sick part, certainly not having the adequate nutrients, not just calories, can weaken an immune system. And this is probably the case.

As you said, you know you need to eat more. As a guy you do need more calories, especially if you are training hard. Weight training is great for you and will actually help you lose weight faster.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care of your body and your body will take care of you!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You might have picked up a bug at the gym, but I have to cut back on working out when i'm sick, or else it prolongs my recovery.

And yes, you need to up your calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From my understanding working out typically boosts your metabolism, but in the short period after training your body is focused on muscle recovery and your immune system can be a little weaker for a short period of time following intense training.

Men should not get less that 1500 or so cals before adding exercise cals back in. So 1500 plus exercise cals.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the overtraining and getting sick part, certainly not having the adequate nutrients, not just calories, can weaken an immune system. And this is probably the case.

As you said, you know you need to eat more. As a guy you do need more calories, especially if you are training hard. Weight training is great for you and will actually help you lose weight faster.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care of your body and your body will take care of you!

I agree.
  • IronSheff
    IronSheff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been very careful to make sure I'm getting the right nutrients, but I might not be getting enough. At least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, high protein, etc. Taking multivitamin, vitamin D, calcium, and omega 3. Could just be that I actually picked up something at the gym. I'll cut back on working out a couple of days and rest then get back to it on Saturday or Sunday. I could use the rest anyway.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the flu!

Working out in and of itself boosts your immune system, but if you are working out, working full time, chasing a couple of kids, etc, you are probably not resting sufficiently, and that decreases your immmunity and makes you susceptible to picking up a bug.