Not seeing results

ailysys
ailysys Posts: 25 Member
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
I was wondering if I should be eating less than 1200 calories. I'm very petite(5ft) and I'm trying to lose 10lbs I put that I would like to lose 1lb a week, but it automatically changed it to 0.6lb a week at 1200 calories a day. Is less than that unhealthy? I'm also doing some cardio everyday (only 25-30min).

Replies

• Eating under 1200 calories isn't enough, especially with working out. If you eat less than that, your body begins to go into "starvation mode" and it holds onto what it has instead of letting it go. Make sure that when you work out, whatever calories you burn, you eat those again, if that makes sense :) good luck!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    I'm in a similar situation. Your weight loss is going to be slow going. You just don't have a lot to lose, which is good news, but it IS going to take time. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Eating under 1200 calories isn't enough, especially with working out. If you eat less than that, your body begins to go into "starvation mode" and it holds onto what it has instead of letting it go. Make sure that when you work out, whatever calories you burn, you eat those again, if that makes sense :) good luck!!

In addition to this, you might want to raise your daily calorie goal. Since you don't have much to lose it will take longer for you to lose 10 pounds than it will for someone who has more weight to lose. You have a lower amount of body fat so it comes off slower. Generally, you can lose half a pound per week. And, you need to eat a little more to fuel your body because if your body doesn't get enough calories and you don't have much body fat to burn, your body will burn muscle. Your body burns either fat or muscle depending on what is closer to the area of your body that needs the fuel.

So eat a little more and give yourself the time to take it slow.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I was in the same boat. When you are already in a healthy weight range it's just too hard to get that calorie deficiency without taking the chance of not getting enough calories. MFP gave me a BMR of 1520 at first. Now I'm at 1500. My Net calorie goal is at 1250. That's a 250 a day deficit. Some days I am under 1200 but I won't do that for more than a couple of days. Others days I'm over. I do what I can to eat at least 1200 - usually a little bit more. My logging and foods are still a work in progress.

I was doing cardio for about the same time. I have upped to 45-60 sessions to help dip into my stored fat. You hit stored fat after about 20 minutes. These sessions are mostly moderate intensity (I use a treadmill and go between 3.0-3.5mph). I still like to jog (5.0mpg) a couple of minutes every 5 minutes to up the calorie burn. I do this a couple of times a week. I still have 30 minute high intensity intervals and I do strength training with Jillian Michael's DVDs (love the No More Trouble Zones) a couple of times per week. Strength training is good for building lean muscle mass which helps increase your metabolism through the day.

In the last 2 weeks the pounds are melting off of me. Official weigh in isn't until Saturday but I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm at 125.2lbs. 2 weeks ago I was 130.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I'm hoping not. Oh and I'm 5'2" and as of right now trying to lose 10. If I get there I'll see if I want to go lower.
  • karwizz
    karwizz Posts: 3 Member
    Hi - I'm feeling the same way, altho I feel that I do have some to loose... I also have been very loyal to 1200 cals a day and I've gained a pound! I don't get it. I don't feel like I should be 'eating' my exercise calories.... It's so discouraging... I count all food, and it's been 2 weeks+ but I plan to hang in there...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Hi - I'm feeling the same way, altho I feel that I do have some to loose... I also have been very loyal to 1200 cals a day and I've gained a pound! I don't get it. I don't feel like I should be 'eating' my exercise calories.... It's so discouraging... I count all food, and it's been 2 weeks+ but I plan to hang in there...

Say you're at 1200 but you burn 400 during exercise. That puts you into a 400 calorie deficiency. You do that for more than a few days and your body's 'Famine Response' kicks in and will start hanging onto fat and start eating up muscle mass. 1200 is the minimum.

Start eating more. You might see a slight increase at first as your body and metabolism adjusts then the weight will come off.
  • ailysys
    ailysys Posts: 25 Member
    I can't thank you all enough for all of your feedback. All your advice is very helpful :smile:
This discussion has been closed.