What does Activa yogurt do?

Dreamerlove
Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I like Activia yogurt, but what does it do? I am 23 am I too young for it? Whats the purpose?

Replies

• Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    LOL i wondered the same thing after seeing Jamie Lee Curtis eat it on the commercial!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    I think what it does is "regulate your digestive system" in other words, it makes you poop at more normal intervals/times/on a schedule. Haha. That's what I think it does.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    You are not too young. There is no age barrier on keeping your body regular. It is suppose to aid in proper digestion from my understanding. I may be wrong, but that is what I have been told. I have never had it, but I do like the LiveActiv Jello Pudding. It has pretty much the same stuff in it that Activia has.
  • jul1e
    jul1e Posts: 3
    Its a marketing gimmick - it hasn't been proved, sorry
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    It just contains a probiotic, which is healthy bacteria for your digestive system. Has nothing to do with age.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    OK,
    it has probiotics in it. They are good for you bacteria. It is especially good for you if you ever have to take antibiotics! The antibiotics kill everything like it is suppose to. Unfortunately it kills good bacteria that protects your intenstines. That 'can' lead to food allergies. Meaning that while it doesnt happen every time you take them, but can happen. The bacteria in the yogurt helps protect you and thusly keep your digestion going strong.
    My daughter needed surgery that had her taking a very strong antibiotic. I pumped probiotics down her for quite a while. Now they come out with more flavors and better options. She says that while she never wants to see kefir (the only thing out that had probiotics at the time) ever again..she enjoys that she has no food sensitives.
    Beat nik here ;-]
    Hope this helps ;-]
    jac
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    In my opinion, I don't think Activia does anything special that a good wholesome yogurt wouldn't do. I've tried it, it tastes good, and I thought it was good for you.....at least until I read the ingredients and saw the preservatives and artificial crap they put in it.

Sorry, I'd rather have Stoneyfield farms or greek yogurt.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Activia claimed that it was "scientifically" and "clinically" proven to regulate digestion and improve immunity. They were sued because none of this was proven. See this article for more info http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dannon-settles-lawsuit/story?id=9950269

Probiotics do help with maintaining healthy digestion and the proper flora in your intestines even when taking strong antibiotics. I drink a shake everyday that is FULL of probiotics and it makes me very regular and when I had to take antibiotics, I did not get the dreaded yeast infection that many of us women get when on antibiotics. I know several other women who have reported the same thing who drink this shake daily.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    LOL
    I was refering to the probiotic side of the bus. For me...I like my greek style organic plain stuff. I throw some bluberries, pure vanilla, and some nuts in it. When I first tried it I thought 'not good'. I did throw stevia in it when I started eating it. I thought 'oh well...I will just finish this off'. But you know what? When I was done with it my taste buds had changed and I liked it. I also use it instead of sour cream.
    jac
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Pretty much all yogurts have priobotics in them. Activia is different than others because it's high in fibre (as far as yogurts go). Fibre intake + drinking water = pooping.

I can vouch for the importance of eating enough fibre- when I'm eating well, I'm very nice and regular. As soon as I stop eating enough fibre, I get 'backed up'- and suffer stomach pains and the like. If you're constipated, your tummy might stick out a bit more and you will probably see that on the scale.

So, Fibre is a good thing. But, I get the same results eating Fibre 1 or All Bran cereal in the mornings.... :)
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    EWWWW....that stuff made me all bloated and sickish...my daughter did really well with it and lost a few lbs even. I did try it a couple times, it was equally bad both times...just my experience.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    I used to use Activa quite a bit until I saw how much
    sugar there was in it. I stopped and now use a
    yogurt that has a probiotic in it without the added
    sugar.
This discussion has been closed.