how do you make your talipia?

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
I need a yummy talipia recipe...I am grilling it tonight but not sure how to give it some flavor...not a big fan of fish unless it's fried.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I typically bake it. My favorite is to put a little olive oil in a baking pan (or spray it with Pam), pour a couple tablespoons of lemon juice in, then lay the tilapia in and sprinkle with a little dry grated lemon peel, black pepper, and maybe a touch of dill. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes until it flakes easily with a fork, then sprinkle with a little parsley.

I don't know how to season things for grilling. :-/
  • cookiejones
    Options
    I like it coated in Panko bread crumbs (the flaky, Japanese bread crumbs) and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Gah! Sorry, just noticed that you were grilling. Sorry. I usually cover it with some salsa (even fruit salsa is yummy, made with mango or peaches) and then wrap in foil and grill for 15 minutes. it's more like steaming though....
  • Tomlette
    Options
    I just posted a recipe for talipia further down (Blueberry Beer Talipia and Apples). It's a grilling recipe. I also like to make a rub from paprika, basil, salt, and any other herb that sounds good at the time, then either bake or grill it with lemon juice.
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I used to wouldn't touch fish unless it was fried catfish, even then I had to drowned it in lemon juice and alot of salt but my husband got me eating tilapia. I just grill it on a flat iron skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil, instead of adding salt to it, I chop it while it's grilling and squeeze fresh lemon all over it. Salt is by biggest enemy but sometimes I do add lemon pepper seasoning! Good luck!
  • mgottawa
    Options
    I pan fry it sprikled with Cajun spice- Very tasty and fast
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little olive oil on it, some garlic, fresh tomatoes, and fresh jalepeno or serrano pepper (You can use bell pepper if the chiles are not available or if you don't like them.) . Use fresh lemon or fresh lime juice instead of salt. It make kind of a vera cruz style dish. Hope you like it.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A little EVOI sprayed in a baking pan, lay tilapia on it, then season it with some Cajun seasoning. Gives it a nice kick!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just posted a recipe for talipia further down (Blueberry Beer Talipia and Apples). It's a grilling recipe. I also like to make a rub from paprika, basil, salt, and any other herb that sounds good at the time, then either bake or grill it with lemon juice.

I will have to try this! I love blueberries.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use lemon pepper, spray butter and lemon juice.
  • kunecke
    Options
    I am a fan of coconut breading

Per filet:
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    1 tbsp packed brown sugar
    1 tsp garlic salt
    Coconut to taste (I like lots in this recipe)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 beaten egg
    1/4 cup flour

Mix all but last 2 ingredients in to a baggie (use gallon size if cooking more than one filet.
    Coat filet in flour, and dip in to beaten egg.
    Put in baggie and shake until filet is coated in coconut mixture.

Bake until falkey (about 20 minutes on 350 or so)

We also use this recipe on shrimp, and never have left overs!

One filet is approximately 205 calories, 1.8 grams fat
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh... the coconut breading sounds so good... I am going to have to try that!

I usually just bake it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil and cajun seasoning or sometimes I marinate it in my fave salad dressing and then bake it...

LOVE Tilapia..

Keep the ideas coming!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My husband makes it with Artichoke hearts, Love it and Im am not a fan of fish.
  • Shyanneautumn
    Options
    I place mine in a foil pocket and put fat free Italian dressing and let it cook in the oven at 350 for about 15 to 25 mins or until white and flaky.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Brush it with Olive Oil, sprinkle some homemade dry rub on it and bake it at very high temp - about 540. About 10 minutes.

Very simple. Baking at very high heat keeps it moist but cooked through.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    1 garlic clove minced
    6 TB olive oil
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 TB fresh lemon juice
    1 TB chopped fresh parsley

2 filets

Mix all ingredients in stainless or glass bowl. Place fish in plastic bag and pour marinade over fish. Cover or seal and place in fridge for 1 hour.

Drain off excess marinade. You can now grill or wrap in foil and bake at 450 for 15 minutes - AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
  • jmncolts
    Options
    LOVE Tilapia!! Thanks for the ideas! :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Penzys Foxpoint seasoning! Or Penzeys Northwoods Fire

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysfoxpoint.html

a little EVO in a pan, cover both sides with oil, season, and sear Fast and Hot
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When it's warm out and hubby is grilling I put the fish in aluminum foil and drizzle with some olive oil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt and black pepper, top with tomatoes, onions other veggies on hand and let it steam on the grill! YUM FLAVOR!! :bigsmile:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    baked with lemon and rosemary. Hot oven fast.

You can also use ANY citrus and a few chili flakes and EVOO.

Always salt and pepper.

Salsa makes the perfect topping for tilapia.