place/time triggers

Options
I'm wondering if it's just me or if everyone has this... Are there certain "triggers" that cause you to eat more? Not different types of food but places/times of day that you eat more?

My biggest trigger is right after I get home. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is... but whenever I return home I want to eat. And I want to eat alot. And it doesn't even matter if I just ate before I got home. I wonder what I can do to stop this craving?

I also get the munchies big time around 3pm-7pm. I have to be really careful. I've started to eat small amounts every 2 hours to keep myself from pigging out. And I drink ALOT of water.

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's just me or if everyone has this... Are there certain "triggers" that cause you to eat more? Not different types of food but places/times of day that you eat more?

My biggest trigger is right after I get home. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is... but whenever I return home I want to eat. And I want to eat alot. And it doesn't even matter if I just ate before I got home. I wonder what I can do to stop this craving?

I also get the munchies big time around 3pm-7pm. I have to be really careful. I've started to eat small amounts every 2 hours to keep myself from pigging out. And I drink ALOT of water.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wow, I also get the munchies during those times!!! Particularly around 4pm... Also the office is a bad place for me. People are usually snacking. We have a great gourmet coffee machine and somebody usually brings pastries. :grumble: Thank God I work mostly from home!!! I share the office with a coworker and she has a drawer full of snacks that are so tempting!!! I saw a box of doughnuts in the break room yesterday and I ran out of there as soon as I could :laugh: I was so proud of myself!!! :flowerforyou:
  • amberc_03
    amberc_03 Posts: 8
    Options
    I chew gum. Not for long, maybe 20 min or so. Your cravings only last 5 to 15 min anyways. It helps me out a lot when I know I have just eaten and I am not hungry yet I feel the need to "graze". It helps out in the office also. My coworkers are very snack happy. Hope this helps!!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I eat if I'm out with friends, I've come to figure out that I am a social eater! Shopping makes me want to eat, of course when everywhere you look is a fast food joint!
  • wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    Usually evenings are the worst. I did so good yesterday and was doing well last night until I started watching "According to Jim". They had cherry pie and carrot cake and were throwing it at each other. Up until that point I was fine. I got up several times to find something to eat. (Of course I was looking for pie). Thankfully, I didn't have any. If I did I think I would have eaten the whole thing. I ended up have a chocolate pudding.
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    right after dinner i want something sweet, cookies, cake, brownies, candy. I try to leave extra calories sometimes for something, becuase i know i give in a lot. i pretty much hate it! :explode:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    You may be able to control these "triggers" not so much by what you eat but when. This is a great article on how blood sugar fluctuations can affect your appetitive and energy level, which are probably the "triggers" you're talking about.

http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=100

Experiencing that late afternoon "slump" is classic, though. It usually means your blood sugar has taken a nose dive and the normal response is to perk ourselves back up with carbs or caffeine (or both...thank you Starbucks), which sets up the cycle to repeat.

Once you wrap your head around the whole insulin resistance thing, it explains a lot of why we get food cravings.

Bon apetit!