Muscle Atrophy...HELP!!!

Options
I've been sick with Mono/Strep (the strep's gone now) for about a month and had been taking corticosteroids and lots of antibiotics. Now the mono is attacking my heart and causing inflammation so I am unable to exercise or be active. I've lost a disgusting amount of weight in that time frame and i'm continuing to lose without any effort, mostly due to muscle atrophy. I'm weak, and i look disproportional. is there any way i can prevent any further muscle deterioration? i know once i get better, i can hit the gym and rebuild my muscles again...slowly...but until then i need some other solution. are there some sort of supplements other than protein powders that can help? if you've experienced muscle atrophy, could you shed some light on the subject from your own personal experience? i would really appreciate it!! any sort of advice is more than welcome!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein and resistance training will do the trick but if you cannot do resistance training then it is going to happen. Try to eat as much protein as you can and see if that helps.
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    First, I am SO sorry you are so sick. Right now, focus on healing. I was going to offer the same ideas that were already - UP, UP the protein (like if you can add Whey protein powder to even oatmeal, make smoothies, etc.) and if you can do some resistance stuff with maybe bands - even lying down so you don't ramp up your HR too much, but work legs and arms. Even that may be challenging to do without ramping your heartrate up. Sounds like you really need to take it easy on your body right now.

Have you asked your doc?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the body isn't going to keep any metabolically active tissue that it doesn't need, so you can't prevent atrophy of muscles without exercise. You can prevent weight loss by eating more, but you won't maintain muscle. Any extra protein (or carbs or fat) you consume over your calorie needs (which are getting smaller with every pound of muscle lost) will also be stored as fat, not muscle, so I wouldn't recommend supplementing. Maintain a healthy, balanced diet and add the muscle back after you are well. Right now, the body needs all those nutrients to fight the infection, so keep up with your vitamins and minerals. The most important thing is that you get well, not what your muscles are looking like.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Try supplementing your diet with L-Glutamine. It helps reduce the amount of muscle breakdown. Of course, as with any type of nutrition supplement, you should consult with your Dr.
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When we are ill our bodies are burning through calories trying to fight off the infection/illness. Increase your calories, especially protein, and foods with vit C and zinc at this time. I've copied a link to an article that has great nurtition info for wound healing (since the principles of nutrition for wound healing and illness are similar). Hope you get well soon!

http://www.dietetics.co.uk/article-nutrition-wound-healing.asp
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Before upping your protien I'd call the dr and ask. I had a friend who had mono once and she wasn't allowed to have protien, it made her kidneys stop working. I hope you get better soon. Good luck.
  • QueenObscene69
    QueenObscene69 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WOW!! thanks everyone for all the great advice!!...i have mentioned the muscle atrophy to my doctor but she was more concerned about me getting rest and not overstimulating myself. i just don't want to get any weaker than i already am. i'm 5'11" and 114.8 lbs...YIKES!! i lost a pound overnight!! scaarrryyy :(