Help making a lifting schedule...

Options
Ok so is what I need help with. I am one of the people at the gym that bounces from weight machine to weight machine with no order. I do at least an hour of mixed cardio everyday but how do I make a lifting schedule?? Is there a website to model one after or do I just need to work on one or two area's daily? Any examples or help is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm bumping to see the answer!

I too do 60 min of cardio and then just bounce around on the machines until I'm tired. No particular order and no particular reps. I need a schedule as well!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you definitely want to focus on one or two areas each day, leaving a day of rest in between.

For me, I do biceps triceps one day

skip a day

then do shoulders and back

skip a day

then do lats and abs

Just an idea.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitclick.com/

This site has lots of exercises and workouts to chose from. Make sure you work the bigger muscles first.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Monday I do arms, Wednesday I do legs, and Friday I do abs/back/core.
    I do the machines in order and also throw in some free weights on arms.
    abs/back/core I do with a ball etc. :)

Hope this helps.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've been preaching the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" to all my female clients recently. There are a couple really sound plans in the book, but bigger than just the plans, it finally dispels the myth of women lifting a 5 pound weight about 30 times. In my experience, I thought that was silly for some time now, but thanks to this book, finally saw the science behind it.

As for a schedule to get started, I use the BodyOpus plan (modified P90X schedule):

Monday: Chest/Back
    Tuesday: Legs/Abs
    Wednesday: Shoulders/Arms
    Thu: REST/Yoga
    Friday: Full Body (1-2 sets per major body part)
    Sat-Sun: REST/Carb Load

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This will have your answers:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm

:o]
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you definitely want to focus on one or two areas each day, leaving a day of rest in between.

For me, I do biceps triceps one day

skip a day

then do shoulders and back

skip a day

then do lats and abs

Just an idea.

Looks like you do back twice (back and lats) and are missing a chest workout?
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do a modified circuit that does a whole body workout in about 30 minutes. Try to do 3 exercises per muscle group, the order is: Chest, shoulders, back, arms, legs, Abs.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The easiest way without going into lots of detail is go out and get the Body For Life book. Its got a pretty solid weight lifting routine that covers the basics which should be suitable for most people.

Beyond that your question is pretty open ended. Developing a weight training program can vary based on our goals and equipment available.

Another suggestion is to find a good personal trainer in your area to get you started. I wouldn't use the typical ones that work directly for the gym. Find a private one that is reputable in your area. This is the ideal route to take. It will cost you a bit of money but it will be well worth it in the long run.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I tend to stick to a schedule a trainer (a very good trainer) gave me several years ago. I will try and post it on here.

As for "areas" to work on. You should always do one of each (push and pull.) I like to do chest and triceps one day; back and biceps one day; legs and shoulders one day and always do some abs with each. I warm up for 5 minutes (a jog or run) then hit the weights. I would find exercises that are in each "body" category (there are websites, books, etc) and do 15 reps each of 3 sets and do alternate between 3 sets. For example, do a chest exercise then tricep then chest (15 reps each) then repeat those 3 exercises again and then again. I'd try and do 4 groups of exercises. Ugh I hope I'm explaining this easily enough! sorry!!
    If I made sense, please continue reading lol... I would like to get in 45-60 minutes of strength training on those weights days and do a shorter cardio. Other days at least 60 cardio. SO THIS IS WHAT I DO :) everyone may have different ideas!

I'll try and post that schedule

Untitleda.png
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    As a side note, try to use a schedule put together by a trainer or expert, that will allow progression and change up from time to time. It avoids plateaus and keeps you moving. When I see plans that my clients put together, they almost always target smaller muscles too much. An example of being more productive is doing heavy reverse lat pull-downs instead of just bicep curls. Email me if you're looking for more in depth info on putting plans together.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Here's mine:

Sunday: Chest and back
    Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Shoulders, biceps and triceps
    Wednesday: Rest day or light workout day
    Thrusday: Chest and back
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Shoulders, biceps and triceps

30 minutes everyday: Cardio after weight training
    Abs 3x's/week
  • rbbb99
    rbbb99 Posts: 2
    Options
    On Monday I do chest, Wednesday I do arms (bis and tris) and Friday I do back and shoulders.

Try to use free weights instead of machines.
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    HAHA yeah I am not one of those doing a 5lb dumbell for an hr!
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    Something that alot of people are having success with is circuit training. Excercises in a predetermined order with 2 to 3 sets in succession with little recovery. You keep your heart rate as close to the fat burning zone as you can.

It's quick and effective. A few years ago they were high rep/ low weight sessions. Now they are more moderate with weights that you do in the 8-10 rep range so that you gain a little muscle (no you won't bulk up)

I have used this myself recently....for a routine that is tailored more for women I would look up some fitness magazines or go to boeybuilding.com and search their supersite. It has info for more than bodybuilding.
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    Something that alot of people are having success with is circuit training. Excercises in a predetermined order with 2 to 3 sets in succession with little recovery. You keep your heart rate as close to the fat burning zone as you can.

It's quick and effective. A few years ago they were high rep/ low weight sessions. Now they are more moderate with weights that you do in the 8-10 rep range so that you gain a little muscle (no you won't bulk up)

I have used this myself recently....for a routine that is tailored more for women I would look up some fitness magazines or go to boeybuilding.com and search their supersite. It has info for more than bodybuilding.

Tthis can be done 2 times per week for your whole body and get you good results.
  • jvanderveen22
    Options
    If you have a smart phone try the jefit app..there web forum has several pre set workouts .
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do a full body circuit to mix things up but usually I rotate through the p90x work outs (not using the videos) at the gym twice a week (monday and friday). p90x is a great program if you are just starting with lifting and give great results.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Here is my schedule, however it varys some days due to work.

-Monday
    bench or chest press machine (depends on if I'm alone)
    incline bench
    free weight press
    tricept pull machine
    fly machine
    pullups (on machine that helps)
    crunchs/sitpus between sets
    -Tuesday [this is a squadron pt day and some of this may vary]
    fly machine backwards
    deadlift
    row machine
    diverging lat pulldown machine
    free weight pull
    crunchs/situps between sets
    -Wednesday
    military press (free weight)
    shrugs
    side lift (free weights)
    front lift (free weights)
    dips (on machine or from a bench)
    tricept pull machine {there are different ways to use it front, back, side}
    crunchs/situps between sets
    -Thursday
    i don't have all the machines names yet- will get that today, but this is my leg day so--
    squats
    calf raises etc
    -Friday
    this is squadron pt day and what I missed on Tuesday will move in here

I also do cardio each of these days. On the sets I do 3-4 sets of 10 each and usually vary the weight starting lower and doing more. Ex: 1) bench bar 2)bench bar +5 3) bb+7 4)bb+10... I'm a weakling
  • jpmajors
    Options
    As you can tell there are many different approaches to resistence training none better or worse than the other. There are super sets, drop sets, high reps lighter weights or heavey weights, less reps more sets. It really depends on your goals and your preference. Most folks are just looking to tone up if that is the case you will find your niche that works for you.

Couple things to remeber, POsture Posture Posture and rest