Cupcake tasting

Options
Hourglass25
Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
I am planning on hosting a healthy mini cupcake tasting for my girlsfriends to come over and enjoy. Does anyone has any delicious ideas? I already have some but I am curious, maybe you guys have better ideas:-)

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    pumpkin and cake mix, mix up the varieties, spice cake with pumpkin is one of my favorite but choch with pumpkin is close second.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I make awesome oatmeal cupcakes with a maple frosting.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I like mixing a can of pumpkin puree with either devils food cake mix or spice/carrot cake mix. Don't add anything else except maybe a tsp or so of water. Just the pumpkin and mix. Mix a tub of ff or lf cool whip with a box of sugar free pudding mix and use for your topping.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    check these out and I am so purchasing the mini cupcake pan b/c that may make these even better http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=view_from_the_bay/food_wine&id=6152257
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    I second the pumpkin puree and cake mix but be sure to mix it REALLY well. I didnt the 1st time I made it and had globs of pumpkin throughout my cupcakes :(

I came across some recipes on here using diet soda and cake mix as well...interesting too.

One of my favorite sites for recipes is www.eatbetteramerica.com <-- they have tons of "healthified" recipes.
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How big a can of pumpkin puree? Just a regular box of cake mix? This sounds good...
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    Check out hungry girl!! She has a ton of healthy cupcakes...and I have tried a couple...they taste amazing!!! Very moist!!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The smaller cans...
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light has a couple of banana bread recipes that use yogurt: the one I adore has lemon rind, vanilla yogurt and blueberries (I just add lemon yogurt and skip the rind). SO good....
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options

Can you share your recipe??
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

mmmmm!!they sound yummy!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    For the people asking about the cake mix/pumpkin - it's one regular sized cake mix like Betty Crocker (I find it works better than Duncan Hines) and one 15 oz can of pure pumpkin, NOT the pumpkin pie mix. I like to do it with the Spice cake flavor and then add the same spices that would go into a pumpkin pie (cloves, ginger and cinnamon). (I also sometimes will beat two eggwhites to a soft peak and add those in, it lightens the batter a and makes a slightly fluffier cake)

You can also mix any flavor cake mix with any diet soda (again, Betty Crocker works best). You'll have a slight taste of the soda in the cake, so keep that in mind when pairing. My faves are cherry soda&chocolate and rootbeer&butter pecan but there are tons of combos. Also, I've heard/read bad things about baking with aspartame, so I stick to diet sodas sweetened with Stevia or Splenda (Diet RC, Blue Sky sodas, Diet Hansen's and Zevia are my go tos).

And my overall favorite recipe I've come up with is this one:

Bananas Foster Cupcakes

Batter:
    1 Box Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix
    1 12oz can Diet Hansen’s Root Beer
    7/8 cup Mashed Banana (about 2 medium bananas or 2 ½ small bananas)
    1 tsp Banana Extract

Frosting:
    16 tbsp Betty Crocker Whipped Vanilla Frosting
    2 tsp Cinnamon
    1 ½ tsp Rum Extract

Batter:
    Preheat oven as per box instructions. Hand mix bag of cake mix with one can of soda. When almost fully incorporated, add banana and extract and mix until completely incorporated. Portion into 24 paper lined cupcake pans. Bake as per box instructions

Frosting:
    Mix all ingredients together in bowl, try to beat as little air as possible out of mixture. Place in fridge to chill while cupcakes finish cooking/cooling. (if you would like less of a rum flavor you can reduce the amount of extract)

After the cupcakes cool, spread 2 tsp of frosting on each cupcake.

Makes 24 cupcakes
    Calories (per frosted cupcake): 123
    Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 146.3mg
    Carb: 27g
    Fiber: 2g
    Sugar: 16g
    Protein: 6g
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    check these out and I am so purchasing the mini cupcake pan b/c that may make these even better http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=view_from_the_bay/food_wine&id=6152257

Ooooh that looks so yummy! I wonder if I even dare try it with a gluten free cake mix....
  • lucy_weng
    Options
    Lemon and Cream Cheese!
    Ingredients
    3½ oz (90g) softened butter
    3½ oz (90g) softened cream cheese
    2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
    2/3 cup superfine(castor) sugar
    2 eggs
    ½ cup all-purpose (plain) flour
    1/3 cup self-raising flour

Method
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 325oF (160oC).
    2. Line a 12 cupcake pan, with cupcake papers.
    3. Beat the butter, cheese, lemon rind, sugar and eggs until smooth and creamy.
    4. Sift the flours. Add the flour gradually to the cheese mixture and beat on a low speed, until just combined.
    5. Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases.
    6. Bake for 25 minutes until firm to touch.
    7. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.

And it goes great with this lemon cream cheese frosting

Ingredients
    1 oz (30g) butter - softened
    3 oz (80g) cream cheese - softened
    1½ cups confectioners (icing) sugar
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    Method
    1. Sift the sugar.
    2. Beat all ingredients together in a small bowl, until smooth and combined.

My boyfriend absolutely loves these.. I might go make some now actually..
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For the people asking about the cake mix/pumpkin - it's one regular sized cake mix like Betty Crocker (I find it works better than Duncan Hines) and one 15 oz can of pure pumpkin, NOT the pumpkin pie mix. I like to do it with the Spice cake flavor and then add the same spices that would go into a pumpkin pie (cloves, ginger and cinnamon). (I also sometimes will beat two eggwhites to a soft peak and add those in, it lightens the batter a and makes a slightly fluffier cake)

You can also mix any flavor cake mix with any diet soda (again, Betty Crocker works best). You'll have a slight taste of the soda in the cake, so keep that in mind when pairing. My faves are cherry soda&chocolate and rootbeer&butter pecan but there are tons of combos. Also, I've heard/read bad things about baking with aspartame, so I stick to diet sodas sweetened with Stevia or Splenda (Diet RC, Blue Sky sodas, Diet Hansen's and Zevia are my go tos).

And my overall favorite recipe I've come up with is this one:

Bananas Foster Cupcakes

Batter:
    1 Box Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix
    1 12oz can Diet Hansen’s Root Beer
    7/8 cup Mashed Banana (about 2 medium bananas or 2 ½ small bananas)
    1 tsp Banana Extract

Frosting:
    16 tbsp Betty Crocker Whipped Vanilla Frosting
    2 tsp Cinnamon
    1 ½ tsp Rum Extract

Batter:
    Preheat oven as per box instructions. Hand mix bag of cake mix with one can of soda. When almost fully incorporated, add banana and extract and mix until completely incorporated. Portion into 24 paper lined cupcake pans. Bake as per box instructions

Frosting:
    Mix all ingredients together in bowl, try to beat as little air as possible out of mixture. Place in fridge to chill while cupcakes finish cooking/cooling. (if you would like less of a rum flavor you can reduce the amount of extract)

After the cupcakes cool, spread 2 tsp of frosting on each cupcake.

Makes 24 cupcakes
    Calories (per frosted cupcake): 123
    Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 146.3mg
    Carb: 27g
    Fiber: 2g
    Sugar: 16g
    Protein: 6g

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! Those sound AMAZING!!!