Sodium!!! please help

Options
just found out im taking in too much sodium everyday... i never add salt to my food once its on my plate... could really use some advice..

Replies

• debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if you are eating a lot of processed/prepackaged/prepared foods you will be high on sodium. Canned foods are also high in sodium.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    It's hard to offer specific advice without being able to see your diary. However, it's pretty useful to add the sodium column and start tracking. Pick off the worst offenders and replace them with lower sodium alternatives.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    As someone who had extremely high blood pressure I know the need to cut sodium. As mentioned, pre-prepared food is usually very high in sodium (that would include most frozen dinners and most canned foods). As I came to realize that I realized that to reduce sodium consumption I would have to cook my own food and not add salt (or if I do use salt I greatly reduce the amount) and instead substitute spices. This is more work, but it is far healthier. Secondly, focus on foods you can eat raw like fruits and veggies. My doctor suggest the DASH diet, and I did look it over to get some ideas as well.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    look for things when you shop that say "very low sodium" or "no salt added"... Check the breads also, bc a lot of companies add a TON of salt!!!!! You want things to be under 200 mg of sodium per serving.
  • NielsonJan
    Options
    If you were adding salt to your foods, another alternative might be to add lite salt (it is a mixture of about 50/50 potassium chloride and sodium chloride). That will also help boost your potassium intake (which is usually low in people). But I agree with the first comment, cutting down on processed foods can also reduce sodium intake.
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    A lot of prepackaged foods have high sodium levels. I never eat frozen meals anymore. I also found a lot of recipes online that are healthy, yet over pack the sodium. I would start checking the labels on everything before you buy it and perhaps use fresh or frozen instead of canned for some things.
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Canned soups and spaghetti sauces have huge amounts of sodium. Definitely add a sodium column to your diary so you can easily track your intake. Try to eat more whole foods and less processed foods. Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    if you are eating a lot of processed/prepackaged/prepared foods you will be high on sodium. Canned foods are also high in sodium.

Yep. Try eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, and more whole grains. Make as much of your food from scratch as you can.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Canned soups and spaghetti sauces have huge amounts of sodium. Definitely add a sodium column to your diary so you can easily track your intake. Try to eat more whole foods and less processed foods. Good luck!

I like Amy's Light in Sodium soups. Also, I have found that most of the Classico line of pasta sauces is pretty reasonable. I think the basil and tomato has 380mg per half cup serving? Something like that.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was about to make suggestions till I realized heck I've been way over in the sodium area myself. Not sure what to do seeing as though I haven't been eating any processed foods? Guess I better watch this post for solutions!
  • LiveLife73
    Options
    thank you.. everyone..
  • LauraKB
    LauraKB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dont' forget that cheese and deli meats are very high in sodium. My 90 calorie cottage cheese packs a whoping 380 mg of sodium and my deli chicken, turkey & cheese are just terrible too! I was taking in too much sodium also and have had to alternate cheese and deli meat days... All my other foods are natural & homemade and not prepackaed so that helps, but unless you're going totally natural, it's hard to keep your sodium intake down.
  • LiveLife73
    Options
    i didnt realize it until i ate a 6"sub with no condiments except oil and vinegar almost 1300 in sodium alone...
  • ckuzman
    Options
    Meijer's has low sodium turkey(240) and a Healthy Ones low sodium ham(330). I am having trouble trying to eat out on the weekend with my family. Anyone know of a list good low sodium restaurants?
  • ckuzman
    Options
    Also Kraft Extra Thin Swiss only has 25mg.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Meijer's has low sodium turkey(240) and a Healthy Ones low sodium ham(330). I am having trouble trying to eat out on the weekend with my family. Anyone know of a list good low sodium restaurants?

There's really no such thing. Instead, I can usually find at least one meal at most restaurants that's not awful. I try to plan my meals out as much as possible so I can hit the restaurant's web site and pick out my meals according to nutritional value.
  • ckuzman
    Options
    I can't seem to do a meal out for less than 1000mg which is more than I'd like..I will do once in a while for the kids.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Make sure you drink plenty of water! I just started doing this and actually had to make sure I was eating enough sodium to balance out all the water that I hadn't been drinking before.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I used to buy spaghetti sauce, until I find out how ridiculously easy it is to make your own.
    1 can of crushed tomatoes (it is harder to find this no salt, but the salted ones only have 120mg per serving typically)
    1 can of dice tomatoes (no salt)
    1 onion, chopped finely
    1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    a couple of cloves of garlic, crushed
    dried italian seasoning or basil and oregano
    optional: carrots (finely chopped)
    optional: balsamic vinegar
    optional: chile flakes

1. Sautee the onions in a bit of oil with about 2 teaspoon of italian seasoning of a combo of basil/oregano. (I always use olive). You can also add your chile flakes too. If you are adding carrots, add them here. Continue to cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic.
    2. Add the tomatoes, turn up the heat to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes (you might want to add more spices, feel free to be generous. Also try to add a dash of cinnamon, it is really good). You could add a bit of balsamic vinegar for a bit of sweetness and to round out the tomato flavor.
    3. Taste for salt and pepper
    4. Serve!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    I used to buy spaghetti sauce, until I find out how ridiculously easy it is to make your own.
    1 can of crushed tomatoes (it is harder to find this no salt, but the salted ones only have 120mg per serving typically)
    1 can of dice tomatoes (no salt)
    1 onion, chopped finely
    1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    a couple of cloves of garlic, crushed
    dried italian seasoning or basil and oregano
    optional: carrots (finely chopped)
    optional: balsamic vinegar
    optional: chile flakes

1. Sautee the onions in a bit of oil with about 2 teaspoon of italian seasoning of a combo of basil/oregano. (I always use olive). You can also add your chile flakes too. If you are adding carrots, add them here. Continue to cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic.
    2. Add the tomatoes, turn up the heat to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes (you might want to add more spices, feel free to be generous. Also try to add a dash of cinnamon, it is really good). You could add a bit of balsamic vinegar for a bit of sweetness and to round out the tomato flavor.
    3. Taste for salt and pepper
    4. Serve!

OMG! Seriously??? Squee!!! :love: