Under active thyroid and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has an under active thyroid gland but is still doing well losing weight. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and over that time have put on about 5 stone in weight and have never truly understood how to diet properly. I need to hear some success stories to spur me on and how you have managed to lose the weight. Was it just calorie counting and exercise? or did you need to try something else too? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Please feel free to add me if you would rather send a message than put it on here :)

Replies

• abiglosertoo
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease, which is an underactive thyroid. I too have struggled with weight [among other things]. I've been able to lose weight in the past but the moment I become inactive again, I put it right back on.

I'm now making a total life change with both diet and exercise in an attempt to combat this wonderful condition I was so wonderfully blessed with! Ha!

I wish I had some advice but I too am struggling for advice. Perhaps we can motivate each other!

Good luck!
  • junekucks
    Options
    I have thyroid issues also. My Dr told me it would be very difficult to lose weight because of it, so I didn't try for a long time.
    I gained a lot of weight and always looked bloated.
    Avoiding white bread, white sugar and adding extra Vitamin D helped a lot. Walking really jump started my resolve to keep at it. I went from size 16 to size 10 and am still getting tighter and firmer. It took 6 months. Don't fall for any get skinny quick schemes , they just wont work for us . Also, avoid soy products as they interfere with our thyroid meds, Check out Dr. OZ's web site , He has lots of info on thyroid issues.
    You can lose weight, and many of us with under active Thyroid have too.It
    might take you a bit longer but hang in there.
    Good Luck.
  • kjohannson
    Options
    Hey there! I was diagnosed in 2006 with underactive thyroid. At the time my doctor told me weight loss wasn't impossible but I would "have to work harder". I had just gained 10 pounds and was trying to get it off. I went on synthroid, a very low dose and the blood work all came back fine. I got pregnant with my third, gave birth and lost most of the baby weight. Then last summer I gained 10 pounds practically overnight. I went back to my doctor, and insisted we try a higher dose. He increased it a little, but it helped me feel better and I stopped gaining weight. I have been on mfp since November and have lost 10 pounds. I eat 1200-1400 calories per day and exercise 45 minutes 6 days per week. The weight is slowly coming off. I have heard from others that it can take a long time to get your medicine dose correct. Even though my blood work kept coming back "in normal range" it obviously was not normal for me, and I needed a higher dose. Keep working with your doctor to find the right level of medication for you. Good luck!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I was just recenly diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, but I suspected I had hypothyrodism for a few years. I lost 30lbs last year working otu 6 days a week and counting calories. Over the holiday's I gained 12lbs back not exercising or watching what I ate! 12LBS IN LESS THAN 1 MONTH!! UGH ... I am back to exercising and back to eating right and have lost 8lbs since.

Wanted to add, I don't eat Refined Carbs because I also have PCOS & Insulin Resitance. So I try to stay away from White Bread, Pasta and potatoes.. and stick with few carbs as possible... I LOVE sweet potatoes.. and don't mine an occasional sandwhich on wheat.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I"ve gotta get my dog to the vet, but I'll come back and answer when I return. I have hypothroidism and have lost close to 20 lbs. since August. It CAN be done but it takes work! In the words of Ahnold, "I'll be bahk".
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    II'm now making a total life change with both diet and exercise in an attempt to combat this wonderful condition I was so wonderfully blessed with! Ha!

I'm with you! I will probably never not exercise again.

I was diagnosed in 2003 with underactive thyroid, and have been on meds since then. I've had 2 kids and have been pretty inactive as far as working out goes, but, of course, spend a great deal of time running around after two little monkeys. I have been on MFP since 1/3/2011 and have lost 9 lbs so far. I think that my weight gain was mainly from not eating well and even when I did, not paying the least bit off attention to portion size. Did the weight possibly pack on a little faster or easier because I have thyroid disease? Yeah, I think so. I'll blame my thyroid a little bit, but primarily, it's my poor choices that have led me to where I am now.

Having said that, I am totally encouraged by my progress even after 2 weeks. It truly is/will be a complete lifestyle change for me. It kinda sucks some days, but other days are pretty easy. (Today was kind of difficult. I really didn't feel like working out, but I knew I'd be so disappointed in myself if I didn't. It wasn't a lot, but I got up and got moving and immediately felt better.)

You can do it. We can be friends and encourage each other. :wink:
  • kjohannson
    Options
    I agree, i am not going to blame my whole weight gain on my thyroid, my choices had something to do with it for sure. I think it's just finding a balance between medication, food choices and exercise. It's nice to see you all have been having success!
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great replies! I will definitely keep at it and it would be great to all motivate one another along this journey :)

I don't blame all my weight gain on my thyroid problem as I know I have been fairly inactive the last few years and haven't had a clue how to diet. I only stumbled upon this site by accident when I had an iphone for Christmas and was browsing apps. So far I've lost 8lbs and am very excited about it - I definitely want to lose weight in time for next Christmas and get to wear a nice pretty dress rather than swaddling myself in baggy outfits.
  • abiglosertoo
    Options
    i agree! great replies and great advice! thanks alot guys!

for more on this topic [and my weight-loss journey] check out my blog!

http://abiglosertoo.wordpress.com
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I was diagnosed back in October-- but they won't treat me yet. I go back Monday. I'll return here after
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    O.K., I'm back from the vet now. Back in 1997 I had half my thryoid removed. The remaining part did a good enough job of producing thryoid hormone that I didn't need any medication. I have always been very active and enjoyed working out but also really enjoyed food. In the past, if I had a big event coming up, I would crash diet and lose the weight and immediatly go back ot my normal eating habits. Over the past 2 years the weight has slowly crept up but I convinced myself it was age related and that since I only had half a thryoid, I was doomed. In August, the straw finally broke the camel's back when I saw pictures of myself and couldn't believe I had let myself get that far out of line so I made an appointment to see my doctor convinced it was my thryoid. Well, I knew her first words were going to be "are you keeping a food diary?" so I decided to be pro-active and start keeping one. I found this site. Amazingly, once I started eating correct portions (I am not my teenage sons!) the weight started coming off! Well, I went for my checkup and it turns out my thryoid IS out of whack and she is starting me on meds tomorrow. (2 rounds of blood work, holidays, etc made it take this long since August) So, short answer very long, it is possible to lose weight with an underactive thyroid! It takes willpower, measuring, being honest with how much you are eating and exercising. I"m hopeful that being on this medication will help me over my plateau. I've been stuck since early December and have gained and lost the same 2 lbs. over and over. Good luck!!
  • Dudesmum
    Dudesmum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid at 19 and a uk size 10,so I was slim back then and gaining weight didn't become a problem for me until my late 20's when I had crept up to a size 14/16. When I was pregnant with my Son aged 28 due to my thyroid I was referred to a consultant who checked my thyroid 4 weekly and adjusted my medication accordingly,by the time I gave birth to my son I was lighter than i was before he was conceived and back into a size 12 within a week of his birth!

However, the weight crept on again and by the time he was 2 I was up to a size 16/18 :noway: I wanted to lose weight for my Wedding in 2009 and with motivation and commitment lost 28lbs between January and April, I wanted to lose more but was told my dress couldn't be taken in any further! :laugh: but I'm back here again as I put it all back on :sad: once again determined to lose it all again!

I guess what I'm saying in a very long and convoluted way, is that is IS possible to lose the weight, but I do feel it goes on easier than it does most people. Good luck to everyone on their weightloss!

Jo x
  • wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    Options
    I also have an under active thyroid, well now I have no thyroid. I do blame it on my thyroid..im tiny 4 foot 9...I did this to myself though because my junior year of high school i stopped taking my thyroid pill & put on 20 pounds...this is my first time trying to actually drop 17 pounds.I'm now in my 2nd year at college & getting married. I wanna do this for me. I always wonder what affect my non existent thyroid will have on me. Just a few days ago i said i'm sick of it controlling my life, so this is for change
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have just been told after insisting on a test that I have under active thyroid- about to have further tests next week - then I will be looking for advice and encouragement as well.
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    I have thyroid issues also. My Dr told me it would be very difficult to lose weight because of it, so I didn't try for a long time.
    I gained a lot of weight and always looked bloated.
    Avoiding white bread, white sugar and adding extra Vitamin D helped a lot. Walking really jump started my resolve to keep at it. I went from size 16 to size 10 and am still getting tighter and firmer. It took 6 months. Don't fall for any get skinny quick schemes , they just wont work for us . Also, avoid soy products as they interfere with our thyroid meds, Check out Dr. OZ's web site , He has lots of info on thyroid issues.
    You can lose weight, and many of us with under active Thyroid have too.It
    might take you a bit longer but hang in there.
    Good Luck.

Definitely agree with checking to make sure you're not taking something that could interfere with the meds. I have hypothyroid too, and take synthroid for it. But I also have had problems with stomach ulcers and anemia and need to sometimes take iron and prevacid. Doctor right away warned me that iron can affect the meds, and so he told me to take my iron 12 hours apart from the thyroid meds. But I didn't know at first antacids could affect it as well so now I wait 4 hours on that one.

So if you take any sort of mutli vitamin that has iron in it I would ask your doctor if you should space that out from your meds.
  • JMatGam
    JMatGam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow. All your stories have really helped me. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in January after 2 years of testing for practically everything under the sun. I just had my second round of blood work and my levels still aren't right. I gained a total of 40 pounds since August 2009 and since I've been on the synthroid, I've lost 5.
    I had a lot of trouble with digestion and I'm still not able to eat fruits and vegetables, so that kind of puts me in a difficult situation. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
  • Ejcj89
    Ejcj89 Posts: 5
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the early 1990's. I have been on all the meds and doses available over the years. I too cannot blame my total weight gain to the hypothyroidism but to a combination of lack of exercise, portion size, and my thyroid being out of whack (many times the doctors would not listen to me when I told them I did not feel good:indifferent: ). I have recently started to watch my portion size, exercise on a regular bases (three times per week is all I can get into my schedule right now) and it seems to be working. Slow but it is at least working. I have tried it all and truly all of us that are hypothyroid are in the same boat....no gimmicks will work for us....just true hard work. Lets all stay together and support one another on this rather long journey. :smile:
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have untreated Hashimoto's as well. I agree that it is not impossible to lose weight but you will have to work very hard at it. It is a very slow process (for me) and I have to be very diligent about it. Now gaining weight...that I can do just by *looking* at food. I had lost 55 lbs over the course of 14 mos a few years ago and then hit a 3 month plateau while tracking and exercising and doing everything "right". I finally threw in the towel out of frustration. I stopped tracking but was probably eating half the quantity of food I was eating while on WW but just not counting calories or points. Within 6 months I gained 42 lbs. I can't ever do that again...i learned that lesson the hard way! If you put the effort into it and you are seriously watching your calories and getting exercise, you will lose. If you are on the right dosage of medication, it will become that much easier. Good luck to you...you can do it!!!
  • shastar
    shastar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    During a routine physical about March 5th, my primary care physician took blood samples as usual. After she got the results, she told me I have under active thyroid. It felt like a new chapter of my life where I HAD to take medicine everyday. I decided to take it in the middle of the night between 2:30 and 4:30am since I usually wake up once anyway. After taking the thyroid medicine I have to wait an hour before I can eat, so i thought in the middle of the night would allow me to eat breakfast before I leave in am without delaying a whole hour. My doctor felt it could impact me in a negative way if I did not take the medicine with all the hard work of trying to lose weight. I also had a DNA Diet test by Inherent Health and they said under active thyroid wouldn't change my DNA which still means I have to do high energy exercises with low-fat diet to lose weight for the rest of my life. The DNA does not change from taking the Levothyroxin. I wish it did. Anyway, wish me luck! If anyone has tips, I am all ears.
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimotos also. Before that I had an under active thyroid. It was much easier to control weight before Hashimotos Disease. Now I just really have to work at it. I keep my metabolism up with vigorous exercise . This helps immensely. I have enjoyed all the tips about diet. Thanks for asking this Question.:huh: :ohwell: :huh: