Eating Out

Options
So, tonight is date night! Yipee! My husband and I are going to The Keg...but it's kind of a meat and potatoes kinda restaurant. Anyone eaten there recently and have any ideas for a reasonably healthy meal? I will be having a cocktail with dinner...but I did burn over 500 calories today.

Replies

• bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have never been there, but I'm sure you can get some grilled chicken and some veggies? Maybe a potato with nothing on it?
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is this the place?
    http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/en/nutritional-charts/

Wow ... those are some incredible numbers in my book, lol. I'd suggest asking your waitress to box up half of your meal before she brings it to the table. That would make some of these meals more manageable, lol.

Just from a quick look, I'd say the Teriyaki Chicken meal, in that half portion. About 420 calories, 14 g fat, and 531 sodium. If you have room in your plan for it, that'd be my suggestion.
  • anyanatasha
    Options
    My boyfriend and I actually went last week and we both managed to have pretty great meals. I had the prawns with rice pilaf (also came with grilled veggies, asparagus was veggie of the day) and my boyfriend had the ahi tuna with rice pilaf and veggies as well. I love the bread at the Keg, so it was hard for me but I had one small piece instead of half of the loaf! The meal was great, so hopefully you find something you enjoy on date night!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Here's what I do:

Ideally we would all just make amazing choices, listen to our bodies (i.e.: eat when we're hungry and stop when we're full), but in social situations this common sense stuff can frequently fly out the window. In order to set myself up for success, I do a few things:

- Spoil my appetite: I never enter a social situation hungry. I do not save calories for these events. I eat before I go and arrive at the event full. This way I can make rational decisions about what to taste/sample. Even if I plan on eating a full meal at a restaurant, I STILL spoil my appetite. Arriving full saves me hundreds (if not thousands) of calories.

- I wear clothing that does not allow room for a huge meal/over eating: The belt-over-everything trend has been my friend. I always wear a fitted belt around my waist over button downs, sweaters, cardigans, whatever. Wear those skinny jeans. Wear that fitted dress. Whatever I chose, it's my goal to make it fit comfortably ALL. NIGHT. It's really hard to stuff myself full of food when my outfit does not allow for much expansion of the belly. There's a reason people undo their pants after a big meal. I won't be that girl.

I also skip the bread basket. Start with a cup broth based soup to fill me up. Half of my entree goes in a 'to go' container as soon as it arrives at the table. If dessert is ordered, I have a bite or two. I also keep the black, decaf coffee coming.

These tactics have worked for me for the past year :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • Erius
    Erius Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks to all! I checked out the nutrition info on their website...nothing healthy about a 1200 calorie dinner! I guess I'll be cutting the steak in half and getting steamed veggies. One night out won't undo the 50 lbs I've lost. Awesome suggestions from everyone!