Reader's Digest Article

Options
I just read a great article in the February 2011 issue of Reader's Digest. The article said that it's a fact that counting calories does not work. In short, it pretty much says that we are obese due to eating too many carbohydrates and that the obesity doctors are getting it all wrong. After reading the article, it made a lot of sense, and I highly recommend it. I found out that about 75% of even my "diet food" is high in carbohydrates. If I understood it correctly, it said with "some exceptions" that the Atkins diet is accurate, not entirely, but mostly. So I printed a list of carbohydrates I found from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and most of what I'm eating is high in carbs. So, what I'm going to do, and hope it works for me, is not necessary the Atkins diet, but I'm really going to cut out the majority of my carbohydrates and watch them more than my fat and calories. If you eat foods high in protein and low in carbs, you have a better chance of losing weight and keeping it off. But you can't lose the weight and then go on a pasta, bread, potato-fest. lol I just wanted to share what I read. AFter you read the article, you can make your own opinion, but this is what I am going to try to do. I'm not going to go "all protein", but I AM going to cut back on the carbs and be more "aware" of the carbs in all the foods I eat. I'll let you know if it works, and good luck to everyone.

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I automatically eat a high fat, high protein, low carbs diet. Each time I had to lose weight, it was because of pregnancy. So for me it makes sens. I still believe that calories counting is the way to go but I know that when I eat carbs I am so hungry all the time.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It works out to all of the above. For me the carb recommendation here is to high, and I pulled it into what works for me. Also, I kicked this off with the South Beach method, chemically it made sense to me. I am reintroducing carbs into my diet but staying away from the processed ones. I am eating a lot of food, and am coming no where near my calorie goal. Not hungry and energy is improving.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Thats about the only way my body will drop weight . . . I watch my carbs just as much as my calories. I don't necessarily gain weight (unless its refined) but it does impede weight loss for me.

I'll have to check the article out . . .:0)
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    You may want to take a look at The 17 Day Diet...as seen on Dr. Phil and The Doctor's shows.
    Eating protein and cutting back on carbs is exactly what we're doing. It's 4 cycles..17 days each. The first cycle cuts back on carbs..and the second cycle slowly adds some back in. Third cycle adds a few more...and the 4th cycle is maintenance.
    It's all laid out for you...including menus and ingredients.
    You can also do a Search here on the site...for 17 Day Diet. There's a few threads on it already.
    Good luck!
    Blue