Is anyone else finding Curves helpful?

Pennylite
Pennylite Posts: 66 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am really enjoying & benefitting from going to Curves and wondering if others are too?

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Nope. I quit 2 years ago after going for 2 years. I saw no results. My g/f has been going there for 5 years and just stuck with it even though she has gained 20 lbs since starting. She kept all her fat and bilked up in muscle from the machines.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    I keep hearin that people gain from going to Curves and I have a free membership for a month there. I so scared to go, lol!!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    I used to go to Curves and I loved it. I have a hard time motivating myself to exercise and I just found Curves to be very doable. I knew exactly what to do when I got there and just did it. At a gym I am a little overwhelmed. Now all that being said I didn't lose any weight going there. I can no longer do Curves as I have osteoporosis in my spine and I have been advised that Curves were be harmful to my spine.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    I used to go to Curves and I loved it. I have a hard time motivating myself to exercise and I just found Curves to be very doable. I knew exactly what to do when I got there and just did it. At a gym I am a little overwhelmed. Now all that being said I didn't lose any weight going there. I can no longer do Curves as I have osteoporosis in my spine and I have been advised that Curves were be harmful to my spine.

Yes it definitely would be harmfulbc most of the workout is the machines besides the pads. I started to hate it too bc I saw no results and it got soooooooooo boring doing the same exact circuit everyday.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Yes it can become very boring I agree. It seems to me that Curves was really popular about 8-10 years ago and no so much now. I think after going for a while you can hardly stand the idea of doing the same exact thing again and again. I don't see new Curves opening up and I have seen a lot of turn over in ownerships.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    No, I was bored after a few months with very little results. They have closed most of the Curves close to me.
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    I enjoyed Curves, but I went for about 5 months and saw no results. I also started having some knee pain, so I gave it up!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Nope. I quit 2 years ago after going for 2 years. I saw no results. My g/f has been going there for 5 years and just stuck with it even though she has gained 20 lbs since starting. She kept all her fat and bilked up in muscle from the machines.

Ha ha, first response was a total buz kill! I know you didn't intend on this being funny but I'm sorry, it made me smile, thanks!

Curves is intended for the 40+ crowd so the op may enjoy it at age 57. You are 23 so yea, I wouldn’t like it either.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I keep hearin that people gain from going to Curves and I have a free membership for a month there. I so scared to go, lol!!

Look at my above comment re age, you are still too young to enjoy it.

I clicked all the other ladies profiles and yup, I was right, Age 50, 57, 59 etc.
  • jackier19
    jackier19 Posts: 24 Member
    This is the first time I've ever replied to any posts. I'm a 25 yr old with 2 young kids and I LOVE my curves. The women are uplifting and supportive. As of yesterday I hit my 61 lb weight loss. I started at 199 and weighed 137.6 this morning (i started in june). Curves is a program that you will get out of it what you put into it. I'm on curves smart so there is zero opportunity to slack off. I also have to say that the owner of my curves thinks of any way to get you moving. They have recently started having zumba classes 2 days a week and yoga/pilates on Saturday! I was actually featured in my local newspaper yesterday for my weight loss journey. I would take any opportunity to tell anyone how great it is! But like I said, if you go there and do the bare minimum, you won't see results! To each his own! Good luck!
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    I actually really enjoyed going to Curves. The time that I was there I found it easy to motivate myself to go, I got strength training that I wouldn't normally and I definitely found my cardio endurance improved...

This might sound funny, but I also like that mostly older women go there, its much less intimidating than going to a regular gym.
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    I'm 52, and I go to Curves. I throughly enjoy it, and tell a difference in the toning…….Nope, I've not lost weight, but I totally agree, you get out what you put in. I do the Curves smart, and I can tell a difference in my endurance since I started that. I think it can make a difference. I live in a rural area, and yes, I agree, it is much older crowd here, but it keeps them/us moving. I've had friends in the city go, and didn't say much. My thought are, it depends on the curves. Mine is energetic, the people are fun.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Where to begin on the topic of Curves. This is before Curves Smart and Advanced Workout.
    I'll start with I am finishing up my 5th year and moving onto a regular gym.
    At first I loved going b/c I went with my mom and aunt to help them lose weight and figured it would be nice to do something healthy. My aunt and I went 5 days a week and 6 days every other. I started there at 155.50 lbs and lost some inches and eventually some pounds. Then my mom quit and my aunt and I still went at least 5 days a week. At this time they came out with Advanced Workout which is like Curves Smart but you count your own reps. Then my aunt got hired there and I was beginning to get bored of it so I was just going 3-4 days a week. Then came the Elitie status pins where you workout at least 12 times a month you get a pin, Well now I'm at the point of just getting the 12 to keep my pin. I have been doing Curves Smart since May 2008 and its a decent workout.
    I personally think Curves is for people who have never workout, older women, and if you don't want to workout in front of men. The program does work for some people just not everyone.
    I started at 155.50lbs and maxed out this summer 172lbs. Throughout the whole time my body fat % has gone as low as 25.10% to 34%. My weight at the lowest got to 141lbs. I do know for a fact that some of the weight is muscle b/c I can feel them bigger than day 1 even though I don't remember that far back. I can flex my pecs and forearms where I know I didn't have muscle there before.

I say give Curves a shot and if you like good.....if you don't that's fine too!! :smile:
    The other reason I still go is I tell myself its only 30 minutes and your done before you know it.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    I loved it, but if I only worked out and didn't count calories, it didn't do much. But, it is what you put into it, and I usually start out really motivated and then slack off. I am planning on going back after basketball season is over. Maybe I will eventually move on, but for me, beginning (again!) at Curves is a smart choice.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    I haven't seen any weight loss from the place itself, but I love the staff and the people there. I have not yet started the eating plan, but the Curves Smart is great, and you will get a workout.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Curves Smart calorie count is WAY off. The last 3 times I have gone with my Polar HRM and Curves says 300+ burned. Well my Polar HRM says 145/175/155 each of the 3 times I have used it. Now I think I know why I haven't lost anything at Curves just bulked up. I also notice I spend most of my time in the fitness burn and not fat burn off my HRM.
This discussion has been closed.