Is this working against me?

Options
During school I usually go to the gym at 6am, since its always packed otherwise. I go on an empty stomach because otherwise I'll have to get up way early if I don't want to get cramps.

Anyways, after my work out I come back shower and eat breakfast, but I usually fall back asleep. I know exercising boosts your metabolism, but if I fall back asleep does that counter all the working out I just did? I've lost 35 lbs on my own and thats how I've been doing it.. but I was just wondering if this is why it's taking me longer to lose weight?

Any feedback would help! Thanks:smile:

Replies

• slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have been told/read that eating breakfast helps get your metabolism going. Also, if you haven't eaten and then you go workout and start burning lots of calories, your body's instinct might be to work harder to hold on to the calories (i.e. fat stores) it has because a) it hasn't been provided any energy before your workout and b) it isn't necessarily sure when your next meal is coming. It might help to eat even just a little something (ideas that come to find are a Light and Fit yogurt (80 calories), an english muffin (~100 calories) or a vitamuffin (90-100 calories)) that has carbs in it so that you get your metabolism going and also reassure your body that it will get energy and continue to get energy so that you avoid what I like to call "caveman mode" (i.e. holding on to fat stores because you don't know when your next meal will be).

That said, this is not necessarily what's happening, not to mention that 35 pounds is a significant amount of weight - well done! Weight loss doesn't have to be fast. If you're making progress and you're really just concerned about the speed of your weight loss, then why mess with a good thing? Seems to me your on track to having really impressive success. Plus I COMPLETELY understand wanting to get to the gym when it's not a zoo :)
  • EvetteE
    EvetteE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not sure if falling back asleep is countering your workouts, but I really doubt it. However, a low percentage of lean muscle mass makes it hard to burn fat and here's why...

http://www.burnthefat.com/how_to_fix_slow_female_fat_loss.html
  • ksilvey
    Options
    At least you are working out!!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't make any difference. As far as your weight loss being "slow", there's no way to even speculate based on the small amount of info you have provided.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I lost the 35 in about a year or so and have been consistently stuck at around 125-130. I can easily stay at 125, but I'd like to at least look slimmer. I know its about toning but I'm wondering if I could push 5 more pounds off
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would say eat something when you get up, doesnt have to be big, rykrisps and fruit or yogurt with granola. something light. Plus there was a doc done on metabolism and it turns out that for people who don't have much to lose, the body will turn more easily to burning muscle than fat, so not eating anything and working out may be potentially why you are struggling a bit. I would say try a light breakfast for a week and see what happens.