Giving up smoking

onelonegypsy
onelonegypsy Posts: 9 Member
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
Hi All,

My doctor said I should join this site as she thought it was a good way of keeping track of my weight since I gave up smoking and put on about 2 stone.

It's not because food tastes better for giving up smoking. Quite the reverse. Everything I eat now is a way of combating the urge for a cigarette. It is getting easier though. All I need to do now is lose the weight I gained.

I could go back to smoking I suppose but it is an expensive way to die but then so is eating myself to death. So here I am trying to give up smoking and lose weight. We will see what happens. Showing an uncharacterist leaning towards optimism I even bought myself a Wii Fit. At least the silly noises from that should puzzle and confuse the people in the flat below me for a while.

Replies

• Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Hi and welcome :flowerforyou:

I'm here for the same reason. I gave up smoking (heavily) in 2004 and put on a lot of weight and became very unfit. I`ve been here since sept 10 and lost 35lb and can now run 3+ miles no problem :bigsmile: . This is an awesome place with so much support.

Good luck
  • Hello OneLoneGypsy,

I have also giving up smoking and have started dieting and working out really hard since the beginnig of the new year. It is hard to do both ( even harder at the same time). Its been 17 days today since I last smoked, And I really am starting to feel the benefits of be a NON-smoker. This website/App is a great way to manage your calories and how to keep your diet on track. And congradulations on buying a wii and trying to stay healthy with exercise. I too have bought a videogame system for the same reason.( I purchased the kinect for xbox , So I could maintain my exercise by working out with Active 2) I hope you are very succesful in your journey to a better healthier life style, Stay strong and have plenty of support ( No matter where that support comes from) You'll be fine , and once you start reaping some benefits , you will never turn back....
  • I too have given up smoking as part of my NYE resolutions. My motto is "miles instead of cigs". Everytime I wanted a cig I told myself that I would need to exercise an additional 2 minutes for everytime I wanted one. It sounds harsh but in reality that is only a portion of life lost to smoking one cig. Since then I run 4+ miles a day and transfer my craving to exercise. I have noticed a change in my metabolism but was told that after some time it will balance out. Congrats to you all on changing your lifestyle for a more healthier life.
  • onelonegypsy
    onelonegypsy Posts: 9 Member
    Hi and thank you all for your warm welcome and advice.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Welcome to the site. I reached my 1 year of no smoking yesterday. I know how hard it can be to quit and I too used food as a device to substitute for smoking. I joined mfp after a couple months of not smoking and getting my eating in order helped tons. You'll be surprised how fast the weight you gained when you quit comes off once you start eating right and drinking lots of water. At least for me they did. Now if I could only get the pounds that were on me before I quit off.....:smile: congrats on your quit! It's the best decision I ever made.
This discussion has been closed.