Almonds

Options
So, what's the deal again with Saturated, Polyunsaturated, and Monounsaturated fats??

When I enter a serving or a half of a serving of almonds it looks like they are way high in fat, and that serving alone uses up 1/2 of my entire day's Fat Goal.

Eat almonds? Avoid Almonds?

Your thoughts?

Replies

• TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with almonds. They are one of my favs : ) I take a 1/4 c of them to work a couple times a week. I say eat almonds.
  • jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Almonds are the best nut to eat. They are high in fat (good fat), but also protein and fiber. Check the back of the bag and make sure the mfp calories are correct. Eat almonds, but in moderation :)
  • student0007
    student0007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love pistacio nuts! I buy the roasted and salted in the shells. I snack on 1/4 cup after dinner. Very satisfying with good fats!!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Actually walnuts are the best nuts to eat but that's neither here nor there. Nuts have the good fat that your body needs. Yes they're high cal and high fat so eat them in moderation.
  • jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php?PHPSESSID=486132d2056dc076ffae74fa30c88e32
    this has a lot of interesting information about almonds and their "good fat"
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! I eat those everyday.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    They are ridiculously good for you, but yes, you have to watch the calories and fat. So I don't go crazy (my students like to say I am "hoarding nuts for the winter"), I put mine in a tin I purchased from this site:

http://www.gohands.com/almondsarein/estore/index.cfm

I count out 24 (a serving) and carry the tin in my handbag. Perfect healthy snack.
  • 4KidFather
    Options
    If you like them eat them.
    Nuts can really tide you over with their fat calories - IN A GOOD WAY. They are not 'bad'. IF you eat peanut butter, avocados or nuts AND that prevents you binging on 'fake food' then they're just what your body needs.
    Don't be too fat restrictive either - it seems to undermine many peoples satiety, resulting in late night sugar binges- mine included.
    As for types of fats.... I've only ever liked saturated ones like animal fat and butter/cream. I know apparently I should be dead - but I just got blood work last month and I'm good (no insurance increase for me!).
    I do AVOID synthetic , industrially produced fats though. We've only been eating those for about 100 years and I don't see any evidence that they're doing us much good.
    Eat Nature's Nuts!!!
    ps the ONLY time my Cholesterol was over 200 (201!) was when I was vegetarian - go figure.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I don't eat them as a snack but I do toast up about a tablespoon of almond slivers and add them to broccoli, green beans or brown rice. Gives these foods such a great nutty flavor.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I added almonds to my snack repertoire after reading about them in another thread a while back. Definitely puts a hit on the daily fat total, but I love 'em, and they are plenty good for you.
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    I love the Emerald Nuts 100 cal snack packs. The Walnuts and Almonds and the Cocoa Roast Almonds are my favorites. Good fats, and perfectly portioned so I don't (forgive me) go nuts.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other posts with one caveat, the almonds must be RAW. If they are processed in any way (roasted, salted...) they lose much of their nutritional value.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love the Emerald Nuts 100 cal snack packs. The Walnuts and Almonds and the Cocoa Roast Almonds are my favorites. Good fats, and perfectly portioned so I don't (forgive me) go nuts.
  • Stinger97
    Options
    I'm in love with the Cinnamon Roast Almonds. Cinnamon apparently does wonders for weight loss, and almonds are just delicious in general. It's best of both worlds.