Standing All Day...

Options
Okay, I work at a distribution place again and I basically stand on my feet 8 hours a day. I move around when necessary (i.e.: walking to/from the parking to the break room (quite a walk XD), going to the bathroom, going on break), but I'm wondering is it okay to switch my activity level from sendentary to lightly active? Because all I know is by the end of my shift I am EXHAUSTED! And I try to at least do 15 minutes of walking with Walk Away The Pounds.

Replies

• turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    And thankfully I don't have cash on me so I don't buy vending machine junk. Even though they DO have Nature Valley bars in there! :D And today they were giving away free huge muffins and coworkers were asking if I wanted any, but I didn't give into temptation :)
  • stressd1mom
    stressd1mom Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Once a week I work in the factory instead of in my office. On those days, I burn over 900 calories just standing. I would think that you could either change your lifestyle setting or add the 8 hours of standing to your exercise.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I manage the front desk at a hotel and stand almost all day other than when I need to go around to do other things for guests. I know what you mean by exhausted at the end of the day. :(
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In your case, you probably should have it at lightly active anyhow. I don't know what you have your calorie intake set at, but you could be at 1500-1600 calories--which is a decent amount of food if you plan it properly. Your BMR is in the 2300 range, plus activity calories.

You do not need to be super aggressive right now with your calorie intake goal. PIck something that is reasonable and that you can stick to. It's better to choose a slightly higher goal and stick to it religiously than to set some unrealistically low number and constantly fight it. Get your protein up to 100g per day, make fat about 25% of total calories and the rest carbs from good sources: whole grains, vegetables, unprocessed foods. Minimize sugar intake (look at labels for all foods) and maximize fiber intake. Keep your "calorie dense" foods in controlled portion and then add lots of "bulk" (e.g. salads, fresh veggies).

Standing all day unfortunately does not burn a huge number of calories, even though it leaves you feeling fatigued. But that's OK. Just try and build up your minutes. Walking is fine for now. You could also do some light resistance exercise with bands. Maybe try and do a little more on your days off to increase your endurance. Good luck.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Try getting a pedometer. I work in a huge distribution facility. All I do all day is walk, walk, walk!!! Since I got it, I have learned that I walk about 3-5 miles each day burning about 300-450 calories. In addition, I am usually walking around fast enough to work up a small sweat. Try it! p.s. That is before I go to they gym and burn roughly the same number of calories that it takes me all morning to burn, in about an hour!

Good job on the muffin! Bring an apple, banana, or yogurt to work. Find a LOW sugar, good protein bar. Check the sugar though, most have a lot. There a few good ones out there, though. Good Luck!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    standing all day IS exhausting! I'm a nursing student and I get up at 4:00Am on the days I have clinic (30mile commute). I get there around 5:30AM to prep a little more and then go to our morning conference. Then I am on my feet from 7am to 7pm. I get a half-hour lunch around noon or 2 and then finally get to sit again at 7:30 pm for evening conference. Fatigue? yes. But oddly I have found support hose helps, I'm not sure why, but it does. Maybe it helps with blood return, but I haven't seen studies to explain it. I also make sure to wear really comfortable shoes, which is hard to do with my size feet (11) and all the requirements school has for appropriate footwear (no logos, all white, leather).

Anyway, best of luck to you and I see you have already lost 12 pounds so Good for yoU! Stay strong, I love your goals! I know you can do it.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    ooh! I like the low sugar protein bar idea. they are hard to find, but zone should be good don't you think?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ooh! I like the low sugar protein bar idea. they are hard to find, but zone should be good don't you think?

Personally I think zone bars are too high in sugar and fat. I found a bar by EAS that is low in sugar and fat w/20g protein and only 200 calories. And at Costco they are only $1 a piece.