I can't believe I never thought of this before... My Aha mom

Options
I was just reading a blog and realized something major ...

The hardest thing for someone with an unhealthy food addiction is the fact that food is something that our body needs every day. Unlike other addictions, you have to partake in your addiction EVERYDAY.

If you are an alcoholic you stop drinking alcohol, if you are a drug addict you stop doing drugs, if you are a smoker you stop smoking cigarretes.

What about if you are a compulsive eater? You can't stop eating. Your body needs food.

I quit smoking 2 years ago, and I would constantly berate myself sayin "If you can kick smoking, you can kick your emotional eating"

Well I guess my aha moment was when I realized that this addiction is different. Food is not something I can just avoid the way I did with smoking. I need to give myself a little more grace and patience to deal with an addiction that has been ingrained into my brain since I was a little girl.

*No I do not have to finish everything on my plate.

*No I do not have to feel bad about throwing away the rest of the food, once I am full.

*No I do not have to celebrate with fattening foods.

*No I do not have to celebrate with food at all.

*No I do not have to morn, or be sad with a big bowl of popcorn smothered in butter in my lap.

*No I do not have to feel bad if someone see's me eating healthy, and feels guilty about what they are eating.

*No I do not have to succomn to my families ideas of what a good meal is.

*No I do not have to eat every meal like it is the last meal I will ever have.

This is not just a diet for me. This is a way of transforming the way I feel about food. It will not be easy to reverse all of my habits. But I am only one woman. I will chip away at my habit little by little nothing is left, but the knowledge of how far I've come.

Replies

• bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well said!! I quit smoking April 2007 so I know what you mean. Thanks for your post. :)
  • MRudman
    MRudman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation as you 100%. I almost wish I could copy and paste your comment.... :0) Hang in there.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    Bravo! This has to be the best post I've seen in a long time! It is quite the aha moment!
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Very well put!!! I know exactly what you are talking about A) because I am cumpulsive eater 2, B) because I quite smoking 5 years ago, and C) because I am a nurse in a worldly known Drug and Alcohol Treatment center. I would much ratehr be trying to kick the cigs, drugs or booze... but no, I am trying to kick a habbit that I have to partake in EVERY DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!!!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Well said. I wish you continued success in your weight loss goals.
  • swimsuitbound
    Options
    Thank you glad to know I am not alone my grandmother used to tell me that there were staring children in Africa. Then I was criticized for being skin and bones as a kid then I was a bit chunky don't you think. Food issues suck!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Wait, did I write this post? Cuz it sounds exactly like me. :wink: I am a former smoker/drinker and I realized in the last few months that I am a food addict. Been doing my darndest abstaining from my trigger food but I got 2 kids and I have to buy the stuff. They need bread, pasta, some sweets, and it is HARD not to cave and scarf down a pack of pop tarts and a sandwich, and whatever else I can find. It's all right there in front of me. I have to try and be strong and know that by not giving in minute by minute I am making good choices and being a healthier me. Good luck to all of us who are on this journey.