How do you handle the urge to snack?

Options
I woke up two weeks ago and suddenly I was determined to make the lifestyle change and take better care of myself. I have been doing really well so far, but even though I'm getting used to eating smaller portions I find that I am having a hard time fighting the urge to just snack on something... I have always been a snacker, and it's not out of hunger! What do you do to occupy yourself or fight that urge? My tough time is between my kid's bedtime and my bedtime... that's my wind-down time where I mostly sit and veg, but I want to snack while I veg and I am having a hard time fighting it! Any tips or suggestions?!

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I usually only want to snack during my monthly...and lately it's been carrots with dijon mustard or 27 cheezits (haha...150 calories!) or a sugar free popcicle.

Sometimes, you just gotta have something. I'd rather have something healthy than deprive myself and then binge of every bad thing I can think of.

Good luck!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i still snack, i just try to find lower calorie snack food. it also helps if i find snacks that take a long time to eat. popcorn is a good bet -- especially the 100 calorie, individual sized bags. :)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i still snack, i just try to find lower calorie snack food. it also helps if i find snacks that take a long time to eat. popcorn is a good bet -- especially the 100 calorie, individual sized bags. :)

Or just airpop some popcorn...those micowaved bags are no bueno for our health.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    With those 100 calorie snacks! ONE!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I also am a constant snacker--I've discovered that I am so uncomfortable if I'm not "full". What I've latched onto is making myself a cup of hot tea (and I got a "diet" tea) and then telling myself if I still want something after I've made and drank the tea, I can have it, but usually by that time I've gotten involved with something else or decided that I'm not that hungry after all.
    Another thing I've done is to save something yummy to eat after my son has gone to bed (like you, that's my unwind time). I've latched onto Nature Valley Oats & Dark Chocolate Granola Bars--certainly not the healthiest thing on the planet, but there's no HFCS and it's made with whole grains and it's only 160 cals for 2 bars. But I've found that it satisfies my sweet tooth, is filling and I don't feel terrible about eating it.
    Anyway--good luck finding your own solutions--keep trying different things. Congratulations on making that decision to take care of yourself--it's exhilarating and terrifying at the same time, at least for me.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should chew Spearmint gum, as the taste of Spearmint goes with NOTHING, and helps your cravings go away. Works for me!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Water and willpower. I keep all of my healthy snacks for during the days in my drawer at my desk and I often find myself starting to turn and reach for it at the slightest urge. So I just stop myself, and grab my water bottle and take a big ole swig from that instead.

Also, chewing gum can help. It stimulates the tastebuds and salivory glands so it can help curb cravings and you also would have to throw out the gum everytime you wanted to snack on something, so it makes you consciously think about what you're about to put in your mouth.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I ditto the water - drink a lot of it, it helps.
    I have lost most of the urge to snack, but what helped me was soft ice. I know, I know...not supposed to chew ice. But, it helped me personally. I'd get sparkling water or water high in mineral content and make ice out of those because it makes the ice sooo much softer to chew on, especially if you fill a glass with sparkling water ice, and then fill it with sparkling water and a slice of orange or something for flavor, the ice softens so much. And somehow, having that munching motion with my mouth, totally helped me.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I still snack :) I just try to choose healthier options
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I avoid buying food I can snack on. Unless it's something like celery, or carrots. I also drink a lot of water. I put in my meals beforehand so I know what my meal plan is going to give me for the day.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I suck on a cinnamon stick....yeas the bark of a tree....like a beaver LOL but it keep my mouth buzy and cinnamon is really good for your health and for losing weight
  • scottersrods
    Options
    I was once told by a good friend who happens to be a trainer to say to yourself "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".Now I find it so funny to say it...but I do it all the time.Then drink a bunch of water.lol.
  • beclou17
    beclou17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, you guys!!! I am liking the gum idea, and the ice idea!!! I do allow myself snacks but only healthy snacks within my calorie limit. I find that I will just want to snack even when I know I'm not hungry... I just want something to suck or chew on!
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I'm a late night snacker too. I love the salty snacks. Its has been a major challenge for me. I had to stop buying the unhealthy snack. We eat dinner as early as possible (about 5 pm). I have my small snack, under 100 cal snack within 1/2 hr. Then I'll spend the next few hours drinking water to full me up. I also go to the gym after the kids are in bed. I'm not hungry after all the water and sweating.

As for a snack I do like popcorn ( air popped is best), 60 cal pudding or Skinny Cow ice cream. It comes down to will power. If your winding down is making you want to snack out of boredom then maybe try reading, crocheting or a craft to keep you busy.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I stick to the little cuties. The small oranges that are in season this time of year! They are awesome!
  • cheriedlogsdon
    cheriedlogsdon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW!! 160lbs lost!! Good work!!! that is amazing!!!
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My trick - clean your teeth (toothpaste makes everything taste bad straight after) then have a big drink of water. if you're still hungry after the toothpaste taste goes (30 minutes) then eat something (healthy is preferably).
  • littlelioness
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke lol
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here's my epiphany:

Your body is like a car. It has certain functions to perform and needs a handful of PARTICULAR fuels to do so. These fuels are protein, fiber, complex carbs and vitamins/minerals.

When fuel is running low, your body says "I'm hungry". If you feed it "food" that doesn't contain these "fuels", in a very brief time it will ask you to feed it again because it didn't get what it needs.

Translation - 100 cal "fluff" like popcorn and diet bars is not fuel. It just pretends to be food until your body, a half hour later, realizes it did not really get what it needed. And you'll be hungry again.

When you eat the right stuff (veggies, fruits, lean protein, fiber goodess) your body DIRECTLY gets the right fuel it needs so it stops telling you its hungry all the time and you don't feel the need to keep eating (and snacking).

That's the big ol' secret! Cut out the manmade, processed garbage and put the food the Earth had in the first place into your body. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    That's when i snack too...my son goes to bed, i go work my butt off downstairs, and then i get to eat 700 calories to snack on...I try to keep the snacks healthy, and i monitor the sodium intake...but yeah, my favorite it triscuits and avacado while I watch tv