Just not losing wieght

Options
Ok..I'm getting really discouraged...I am exercising regularly and cutting down calories and its been a week and a half but I've not seen the scale move. My husband has lost like 20 some lbs :grumble: and Mine has only moved down like a pound.:huh: Am I doin something wrong? I just want to see some kind of change but I"m getting so discouraged :sad:

On another note - I was an emotional eater for a very long time but I am starting to control it. eating only when Im hungry instead of when I'm bored! I"m eating alot of fruits and veggies, no processed foods, I try to only consume my daily recommended amount 1200 and I don't eat my exercise calories because I was told that if you eat more calories than you burn off you won't lose wieght..

I'm also on depression medicine and anxiety medicine. Could this be affecting it too?

Replies

• nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. Make sure you are drinking your water. Sometimes it is slow going but worth it in the end.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating your exercise calories, then there is your problem. You NEED to have 1200 NET calories at the end of the day, or you're essentially slowing down your metabolism and your weightloss will stall. If you're only eating 1200 and then you're burning calories, your body is trying to run on too little calories. Up the calories, eat your exercise calories, make sure your NET says 1200 (or thereabouts) every single day, and you'll see that drop.
  • pricebs
    Options
    Hi there

I am in your same boat....I have been doing this since the 3rd of January and I have not seen the scale move either. However I have been told that I "look skinny". Now if you think like I do...then you are thinking...well Im not seeing it on the scale and that is what makes me more motivated. LOL I have been told--give it some time. This is marathon not a sprint.

I also am like you in the sense, that I used to eat when I was bored and all junk food. Ever since finding this app on my iphone. I have found myself looking forward to entering my information into the system and finding out what I am doing. Its been very helpful.

Keep up the good work. More power to you. :)
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You say you just want to see some change, but you already have! :) A pound in a week and a half is great, congratulations! Did your husband start out much heavier than you? If you're very heavy starting out, you tend to lose a lot in the beginning (not always, but often).

It's not good to compare yourself to others. People lose at different rates, as everyone's body is different.
  • DeliDave
    Options
    You say you just want to see some change, but you already have! :) A pound in a week and a half is great, congratulations! Did your husband start out much heavier than you? If you're very heavy starting out, you tend to lose a lot in the beginning (not always, but often).

It's not good to compare yourself to others. People lose at different rates, as everyone's body is different.

Look at it this way. I went from 220 pounds to 180 in a couple months. I couldn't keep the weight off, went back to my old habits, and went up to 260 pretty quickly.

I started last year to cut back slowly on the things I was doing, and over the course of the year I got back down to 220, and am staying there. My goal is 180 again, but doing it slowly is working for me. I'm not getting the weight back. Slow is not bad.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    If you're not eating your exercise calories, then there is your problem. You NEED to have 1200 NET calories at the end of the day, or you're essentially slowing down your metabolism and your weightloss will stall. If you're only eating 1200 and then you're burning calories, your body is trying to run on too little calories. Up the calories, eat your exercise calories, make sure your NET says 1200 (or thereabouts) every single day, and you'll see that drop.

Have seen this on lots of posts, you need to eat the exercise calories or your body starts storing fat. Also are you measuring?
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options

TRUST this!! We aren't telling you this because we want to see you fail... We are telling you this from experience!! I plateaued and even gained weight for over a month because I was only eating 1200... I started eating more and have lost 2lbs this week!
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    Hi there

I am in your same boat....I have been doing this since the 3rd of January and I have not seen the scale move either. However I have been told that I "look skinny". Now if you think like I do...then you are thinking...well Im not seeing it on the scale and that is what makes me more motivated. LOL I have been told--give it some time. This is marathon not a sprint.

I also am like you in the sense, that I used to eat when I was bored and all junk food. Ever since finding this app on my iphone. I have found myself looking forward to entering my information into the system and finding out what I am doing. Its been very helpful.

Keep up the good work. More power to you. :)

I've heard the same thing. That it looks like I'm losing wieght but I get motivated by the scale. Maybe I should start to measure myself. I hope all goes well for both of us...thank you for the support.
  • kbeller88
    Options

Yea he was 370 and Is now 343. That was in a month. I don't know how he did it because he only eats like one time a day and when he does he gorges. I'm at 270 now. with my exercise calories I will say that I try to eat at least 1200 total everyday. that way I at least get what my body needs to keep going. its just frustrating!! But I can do this!
  • kbeller88
    Options

TRUST this!! We aren't telling you this because we want to see you fail... We are telling you this from experience!! I plateaued and even gained weight for over a month because I was only eating 1200... I started eating more and have lost 2lbs this week!

I hope this goes okay I know you don't want to see me fail. I don't want to see anyone fail. But I will say that I make sure to have at least 1200 total. I have alot of calories left over after exercise though like when I dance and stuff but I definately don't want to make my body go into starvation mode. for example I will eat 1200 exercise at least 500 to1000 a day. It states that I have "extra calories" but I make sure that it doesn't go over 1200 total. Does that mean I'm doing it right?
  • kbeller88
    Options
    Have seen this on lots of posts, you need to eat the exercise calories or your body starts storing fat. Also are you measuring?

No Im not really sure how to measure though. I have a pear shaped body.
  • wibblewobblekaz
    wibblewobblekaz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You must eat your exercise calories!!

Also muscle weights more than fat, so you are converting your fat into muscle right now, a week and a half is nothing and better to stick then put on...........have patience and stick with it, good luck x
  • kbeller88
    Options
    Look at it this way. I went from 220 pounds to 180 in a couple months. I couldn't keep the weight off, went back to my old habits, and went up to 260 pretty quickly.

I started last year to cut back slowly on the things I was doing, and over the course of the year I got back down to 220, and am staying there. My goal is 180 again, but doing it slowly is working for me. I'm not getting the weight back. Slow is not bad.

Well I'm glad you started to go back down. thats the way my hubby loses wieght. I don't understand how he does it though. He only eats one time a day, thats at dinner and I mean he gorges. I don't want to do that because I know its bad.
  • kbeller88
    Options
    Stick with it. Make sure you are drinking your water. Sometimes it is slow going but worth it in the end.

Thank you. I hope it is! Good luck with yours too. I want to be a success story.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

No Im not really sure how to measure though. I have a pear shaped body.

Just just get a measuring tape and do waist circumference, hip circumference, thighs etc.
  • kbeller88
    Options

Well thats what I try to do. What I mean with not eating the exercise cals I dont' eat the extra. Like I'll make sure I have 1200 net but I wont eat anymore than that because I dont' think I need too. It wil say I've had 1200 or more cals a day and then after I exercise it goes down. but when I get back up to 1200 thats all I eat. nothing more. I try to drink as much water as possible too.
  • kbeller88
    Options
    You must eat your exercise calories!!

Also muscle weights more than fat, so you are converting your fat into muscle right now, a week and a half is nothing and better to stick then put on...........have patience and stick with it, good luck x

Thank youI'm trying to have as much patience as possible but with kids I'm just wating to feel better faster. I know I need to have patience but I get excited about losing it and I want to see it off as soon as possible.
  • kbeller88
    Options

Just just get a measuring tape and do waist circumference, hip circumference, thighs etc.

Thank you I hope I get it done right..Can I use a clothes measurer?
  • wibblewobblekaz
    wibblewobblekaz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It wont stay off if you lose it too quick, lose slow and it'll stay away, hard work tho and I feel the same, but whenever i've lost in a rush it's gone back on, best of luck to you hun x
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
    It's merely more dense and takes less space and considering the OP stated that she fails to notice a difference in body composition this is unlikely to be the case.