Does too much sodium hinder weightloss?

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I'm seeing a LOT of threads where people are concerned about their sodium intake. I understand that too much is not healthy for high blood pressure, etc. But I am wondering if too much sodium hinders weight loss?

I have not even tracked my sodium but I'm assuming its not low...I like the Natural Choice deli turkey for lunch along with a Laughing Cow cheese....other than that I don't think I do TOO much processed foods....

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too.
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    Me too! I'm always over
  • robow36
    Options
    Yes too much sodium can affect weight loss. A high sodium diet can cause you to retain water and hanging on to all that extra water means you weigh more. Hope this helps a little and good luck :).
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i have started tracking my sodium and it is not low. worried me at first because i also like the laughing cow cheeses which are not easy on the salt. so far, it has not seemed to hurt me too much though i know it can cause water retention. im no expert....but i say as long as you are drinking plenty of water to flush out the salt, you will be ok. i would be interested to hear others opinions though....
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    it can affect your weight in's. Today i was 3.5 pounds lighter than yesterday! I had a few days of high sodium and it affected me. today after low sodium for 2 days and LOTS of water i could see my ankle bones, so i know most of the 3.5 pounds was water weight
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    A cup of water weigh's 1/2 pound or just slightly under a kilogram. Where sodium goes, water follows. So, if you consume too much sodium, you retain water. Usually that water is in the blood stream and the increased blood volume is what increases blood pressure. That increased blood volume from retaining water also increases weight on the scale. The good news is that it isn't fat weight. But if you are concerned with the scale, cutting the sodium will help you lose the retained water weight.
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can drinking a lot of water counteract the sodium's water retention?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Can drinking a lot of water counteract the sodium's water retention?

Not really, but kind of. Drinking more water can counteract water retention from the body perceiving it doesn't have enough water and it can help flush the sodium out of the system faster by making you have to urinate more often, but wherever sodium goes water follows. As long as there is excess sodium in your system, there will be excess water. The flushing of sodium can help remove the water faster, but if you are still consuming more sodium it won't help a whole lot.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the question should be "does too much sodium hinder health?"... different story.
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for helping try to clarify this for me! So...what is a good amount of sodium per day? And any tips on how to track it on MFP? I cant figure it out...
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Thanks for helping try to clarify this for me! So...what is a good amount of sodium per day? And any tips on how to track it on MFP? I cant figure it out...

The current recommendation is less then 2300 mg per day for most people. Under 1500 mg per day if you have high blood pressure or heart issues. More then 2300 mg per day is okay if you have low blood pressure.

As for how to track it on MFP, I know you can set it as one of the things to track, because I have it set as one of mine, but honestly I don't remember how I set that up.
  • pollardbruce
    Options
    I'm trying to think of reducing sodium by eliminating just about anything that is prepared or packaged. These things are usually loaded with sodium. Cook everything from scratch and add no salt. I've been told the body gets enough hidden sodium to function well. For example, did you know celery contains natural sodium? Check your labels. If the sodium amount is greater than the calorie count per serving - stay away from it!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't hinder fat loss. If you eat plenty of sodium regularly you might always carry more water weight than someone who doesn't but over weeks of calorie deficits, your weight loss should equal theirs (all else equal).