peanut butter

Options
I was told to add 2 teaspoons of peanut butter to my diet because I do not get enough protein. Even if Iadd it into my daily calorie intake,will it not still make me fat.I did it one day.I did not go over my fat or anything but I got scared of gaining weight and i quit adding it.I remember a woman told me that a friend of hers got fat off of eating two teaspoons of peanutbutter a day. What do you think?

Replies

• butterfly4u2us
    Options
    I was told to add 2 teaspoons of peanut butter to my diet because I do not get enough protein. Even if Iadd it into my daily calorie intake,will it not still make me fat.I did it one day.I did not go over my fat or anything but I got scared of gaining weight and i quit adding it.I remember a woman told me that a friend of hers got fat off of eating two teaspoons of peanutbutter a day. What do you think?
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm not sure and it's just my opinion, but I think there were probably other factors contributing to your friend's friend getting fat! (Just doesn't really add up in my head though...?) I like peanut butter and it is good for you (in a small amount), that's all I know!:flowerforyou:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree just peanut butter alone does not make you fat. You can also add a bit of cheese instead for some protein. :smile:
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I like low fat cottage cheese and it's full of protein :flowerforyou:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think 2 Tbsp of peanut butter will make you fat! But, if you're that worried about it what about finding some different ways to add a little protein? Lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese is great, Egg Beaters, lean meat, Boca burgers....there are lots of other ways to add a little proteinw ithout adding a lot of fat. :happy:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree, there are lots of options out there for more protein.
  • butterfly4u2us
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese, but was told I still do not get enough protein because I do not eat a lot of meat or eggs.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is too good(to me) to pass up. It is rich in good fat and high in protien. Just dont go over board but if you are worried look for lower calorie/fat protien options cottage cheese, fat free milk, beans, soy products...they all work but I love me some PB so I cant go against this a dvice:happy:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    2 tsps a day of peanut isn't going to make you fat unless you're eating about 3000 calories of other stuff to go with it!

I eat that much every day as part of my nighttime snack (diabetes so have to have snack before bed) and I've managed to lose 30 pounds in 2 months while eating 2 tsps of PButter a day.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exactly call peanut butter a protein rich food when compared to the amount of fat calories that accompany it. Two teaspoons will have at least 100 calories and around 4 grams of protein. If you're eating a very low fat diet and want to balance out your fat intake or want to get some more healthy oils in your diet, then peanut butter will work well. Otherwise, I'd stick to more traditional sources of protein that aren't accompanied with a huge amount of calories, like egg whites, chicken breast, salmon/cod filet, 96% lean ground beef, etc.

If you do decide to have PB, then make sure it's natural as a lot of the generic brands contain hydrogenated oils.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Low fat yogurt is also a great source of protein without adding the fat to your diet!:flowerforyou:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    As long as you are within your calorie limits for the day, I don't see a problem with it. I eat 2 tlbs of PB on toast all the time ( not everyday) and I've lost 40 lbs since Jan.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Forget peanut butter.

Try an egg.