ROAD TRIP WITH KIDS gasp IDEAS

Options
beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
Ok, new thread because Blammi is going on a road trip with her younguns.... ideas.

If you can afford it, and don't already have one in your car, get yourself one of those DVD players for the car. We have taken many many road trips, have another one coming in July, and I can guarantee you it's a must!

I actually use my laptop as the screen as it is so much bigger than those car-type dvd players; but they can also plug nintendo (and others) into the portable ones and play games.

I also fill a "goodie" bag full of stuff from Pic'n'save (Big Lots, Dollar store) of things to bring out new on each day of the trip.... new coloring book, new small packs of crayons.

Ideas anyone???

Replies

• beep
    Options
    Ok, new thread because Blammi is going on a road trip with her younguns.... ideas.

If you can afford it, and don't already have one in your car, get yourself one of those DVD players for the car. We have taken many many road trips, have another one coming in July, and I can guarantee you it's a must!

I actually use my laptop as the screen as it is so much bigger than those car-type dvd players; but they can also plug nintendo (and others) into the portable ones and play games.

I also fill a "goodie" bag full of stuff from Pic'n'save (Big Lots, Dollar store) of things to bring out new on each day of the trip.... new coloring book, new small packs of crayons.

Ideas anyone???
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    Car Bingo - I am sure you can get it on the internet somewhere or a toystore.

Licence plate alphabet - each person has to fine the next letter of the alphabet on a licence plate.

Journals for them to write about the trip - have them include sights, sounds, smells and leave places to include pictures later.

Maps for them to highlight the roads they are traveling on. also it works great to have geography and history lessons about the places you are driving through and too. Fun facts to learn while on the road. you might have to do a little internet homework for them if they can not do it themselves. you can assign each child different cities to find out about.

Count the....

Keep a list for the whole trip by having them count certain items as you drive, like cows, blue trucks, whatever you can think of.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    this may sound wierd but I remember when I was a kid going to jersey and seeing big rigs at night and my dad had me count the "christmas trees" cause that helped me kill time(cause they were lit up and there were alot of them)
  • beep
    Options
    this may sound wierd but I remember when I was a kid going to jersey and seeing big rigs at night and my dad had me count the "christmas trees" cause that helped me kill time(cause they were lit up and there were alot of them)

:laugh: We used to play a game to see who could first guess what type of truck was coming at us! I really impressed one of my son's friends lately by being able to tell him the truck he was thinking of was a Peterbuilt He looked at me with one of those looks that says, "Wow, you know things...." :laugh: :laugh:
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    That reminded me of a game we used to play on lower traffic roads. we would take turns pretending that the next care would be the one we owned - it could get pretty funny because it could be anything from a semi, old jalopy or sports car...kept us laughing.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    How about good old fashion I spy, etch a scetch (spelling?:tongue: ) Not sure how old they are but you can have them make there own cd for the music they want to hear and book cds so they can look at it themselves.

Have fun:drinker:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, my kids love being in the car, so don't know if I'll be much help!! Sometimes they will take their handheld games to play (leapster, and psp). And as a child I used to love reading in the car, although some kids get carsick, in this case reading is kinda out.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    We went on a 18 hour road trip with our two little ones recently. The dvd thing is great especially if it is ones that keep them interested. The front of our car was filled with things to do coloring books, crayons, snacks, drinks, cd's.
    Definitely keep wipes and a change of clothes handy. We stopped at a mcds on the way just to let the kids run aroubd the playroom for a while.

Although you may want to plan everything sometimes it is just better to go with the flow. Although we going to attempt to drive the whole way (taking turns driving and sleeping) with our kids sleeping mostly thru the night (fingers crossed) our plans got turned upside down a bit. It was 4 in the morning everyone was exhausted and our two year old woke up screaming and got carsick.
    It was worth every penny of the 40 dollars we spent for a few hours of shut eye and a shower. (You can get really good motel deals at the travel plaza/welcome centers magazine stands).
  • beep
    Options
    We went on a 18 hour road trip with our two little ones recently. The dvd thing is great especially if it is ones that keep them interested. The front of our car was filled with things to do coloring books, crayons, snacks, drinks, cd's.
    Definitely keep wipes and a change of clothes handy. We stopped at a mcds on the way just to let the kids run aroubd the playroom for a while.

Although you may want to plan everything sometimes it is just better to go with the flow. Although we going to attempt to drive the whole way (taking turns driving and sleeping) with our kids sleeping mostly thru the night (fingers crossed) our plans got turned upside down a bit. It was 4 in the morning everyone was exhausted and our two year old woke up screaming and got carsick.
    It was worth every penny of the 40 dollars we spent for a few hours of shut eye and a shower. (You can get really good motel deals at the travel plaza/welcome centers magazine stands).

We used to do that, when we were young and could stay awake all night........:grumble:
  • beep
    Options
    Hmmm, my kids love being in the car, so don't know if I'll be much help!! Sometimes they will take their handheld games to play (leapster, and psp). And as a child I used to love reading in the car, although some kids get carsick, in this case reading is kinda out.

No, these are more great ideas and you are a help!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    we love car trips...well at least my little king rootin tootin does LOL

things we bring...

portable dvd
    vtech hand held
    SNACKS
    plenty of pillows so he can get comfy if the sleepy bug hits
    a good selection of his fav music
    books

we have a happy camper! happier than the sometimes grumpy daddy who is driving LOL
    hugs!
    Ali
  • beep
    Options
    This is a great list to get anyone started on their road trip this summer! We also read ahead of time about the places we will see on the way (and I pray they will not fall into the Grand Canyon way ahead of time).
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Music.

My son, Judah, knows the lyrics to "Hey Jude" by heart ;) and every good classic out there.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    PS I also had a car charger for my laptop. Saaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvverrrrrr.