Recovering

amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
About a week and a half ago I was diagnosed with atypical pneumonia. I took a week off work, got plenty of rest, took my antibiotics. I'm feeling a lot better now, still have a tiny bit of a cough and we're going on week 2 that my ears have been plugged and I can't hear much, but other than that, I'm just still a little tired. I've been getting about 10 hours a sleep a night in order to get better since I am back to work.

I haven't worked out at all since I got sick, so I would like to start walking on the treadmill again this weekend, nothing too dramatic, just a decent pace for about 30 minutes a day.

My question is (and yes I'll ask the doctor when I go next week, but for now I'm curious) when can I start training for my 5K again? My 5k is April 2, so if I am going to complete a couch to 5k program, I'll need to get started soon, but I am nervous about aggravating my lungs. I ran for the first time in a while on the day I started feeling sick, and I was kind of congested and coughing all day after that. I don't seriously think I caught pneumonia from running (I was indoors btw, in the basement) but since I usually feel a little congested and coughy after a run, I'm nervous as to when I should start again. I've already signed up for the 5K so I'm doing it no matter what, but I would like to be able to train and actually run most or all of it.
This discussion has been closed.