How accurate are Heart Rate Monitors??

mandypizzle
mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Mine says I burn around 500 calories doing the 30 Day Shred level 2 for 20+ minutes. Is that reliable? I just don't want to over estimate my calories and I don't know much about heart rate monitors.
Thank you!

Replies

• It gives you a general area. its not exact but close enough. its within 50 calories Id say. It has a lot to do with your weight
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    I'd say that you heart rate monitor is pretty accurate. Did you input your age, height and weight? Look at your intensity level, was it pretty vigorous, or did you easily do it without any effort? If so, then you got an excellent calorie burn. Now you can compare your calorie burn with the next workout. I love my HRM.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Mine says I burn around 500 calories doing the 30 Day Shred level 2 for 20+ minutes. Is that reliable? I just don't want to over estimate my calories and I don't know much about heart rate monitors.
    Thank you!

does it have a chest strap? I started using one with a chest strap it reads way much less than the watch I had without the chest strap!!
  • mandypizzle
    Thanks! I've noticed my calories burned have been going down as I do this same workout too. I guess that's a good thing....
    It gives you a general area. its not exact but close enough. its within 50 calories Id say. It has a lot to do with your weight
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    It can definately be accurate. I just got HRM.... I thought I was only burning 100-140 cals in an hour gym session. WAS I EVER WRONG! I burn around 320-350 cals!!! Not sure what your HRM brand is, I have Polar FT4 and feel I can trust it.
  • mandypizzle
    It asks for some info but not my height or gender. My intensity was pretty high.
    I'd say that you heart rate monitor is pretty accurate. Did you input your age, height and weight? Look at your intensity level, was it pretty vigorous, or did you easily do it without any effort? If so, then you got an excellent calorie burn. Now you can compare your calorie burn with the next workout. I love my HRM.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    That sounds extreme, but it depends on your height and weight. I'm 5'8, 138 lbs so I burn only 150 cal for the full 26 minutes. The max possible is around 220 since that's MFP's suggestion.
  • mandypizzle
    Yes it does have a chest strap
    Thank you!

does it have a chest strap? I started using one with a chest strap it reads way much less than the watch I had without the chest strap!!
  • mandypizzle
    I thought it seemed extreme too. I just don't know. I am 5'3" and about 170.
    That sounds extreme, but it depends on your height and weight. I'm 5'8, 138 lbs so I burn only 150 cal for the full 26 minutes. The max possible is around 220 since that's MFP's suggestion.
  • mandypizzle
    Mine is a Timex Triatholon. It's very complex and complicated but it's supposed to be a really good one I guess.
    It can definately be accurate. I just got HRM.... I thought I was only burning 100-140 cals in an hour gym session. WAS I EVER WRONG! I burn around 320-350 cals!!! Not sure what your HRM brand is, I have Polar FT4 and feel I can trust it.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    The 3 times I wore mine, twice I was doing hard cardio workouts, and the difference between what the machines stated and what it said was about 200 calories. I would say those 200 came from stretching and my 5 minute walk session in between the machines. Then there's deficiet still left. But it gives me an idea.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Sounds rather a lot to me. My Garmin is spot on and I burn around 100 calories per mile running, so a half hour run comes to only around 300 calories. I think it depends how heavy you are (the heavier you are the more you burn) and at what intensity you work out.
  • mandypizzle
    I'm about 50 pounds overweight right now. I was working pretty hard! I'm just not going to eat all my calories just in case. I need to lose weight and I don't want to over estimate.
    Sounds rather a lot to me. My Garmin is spot on and I burn around 100 calories per mile running, so a half hour run comes to only around 300 calories. I think it depends how heavy you are (the heavier you are the more you burn) and at what intensity you work out.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    500 cals in 20 mins? Sounds too high to me. I woundnt expect to burn more than 200 in that time. But then I'm under 5ft and 18lbs overweight. Sometimes you just can't compare.

Perhaps do something else and see the calculation in comparison to MFP? I think walking or cleaning is the most accurate :)

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JHRSr58
    JHRSr58 Posts: 14
    I definitely agree with AnnaPixie that 500 sounds WAY too high. I weigh 139 pounds (now) and doing the stair master which is VERY tiring and gets my heart rate well into my cardo range I only burn a little over 600 calories per hour or a little over 300 in 30 minutes. The only way I can get more is by getting on the FitLinx elliptical at the gym as that allows me to do a much more serious calorie burn. This is because I'm not just climbing stairs working only the legs but I'm also pumping the arms really hard also. At level 12 on the elliptical doing around 9.0 miles per hour I'm not even coming close to 500 calories in 20 minutes. I average about 750 calories in 50 minutes and everyone that sees me says I'm really pumping -- most people are only doing about 7.5 miles per hour. I would NOT trust your HR being accurate if it is telling you that extreme a calore burn unless you are WAY OVER weight. And judging by your pic and your comment that is definitely not the case.

A HR without a chest strap is normally not as accurate. And I can't see where you responded to the question whether it has a chest strap or not. I bet it does not if it is telling you that large a calorie burn. BTW - cost is not a true indicator of how good a heart rate monitor is.

I would go to a gym that has a good machine, enter your weight and perform the exercise while wearing your HR. I bet your HR will tell you a much larger calorie burn than the more accurate machine. I also suspect either it does not have a chest strap OR it has your weight settings stored wrong.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    I would say 500 calories is high...but 250-300 would not be unusual when you move up to a higher intensity level on 30 day shred for your weight and height.
This discussion has been closed.