30 miles--Think I'm going to go for it tomorrow!!

Options
Ok gang--I've got a 30 mile route all planned out (thanks for the person who mentioned something about mapmyrun and mapmyride.com--great for planning!!) and am planning on getting up in the morning and hitting the road about 7:30am.

This will be my longest ride to date, beating my current longest by 10 miles. Planning on loading up on carbs for breakfast so I don't go "low" with my sugar during my ride, so am going to fix 3 pieces of French Toast (light wheat bread and sugar-free syrup) with cereal, toast, sausage, and apple. Then I'm taking an apple along with me, too.

According to mapmyride.com, given my average speed, it should take me about 2.5 hours (i'm thinking closer to 3 though) and I should burn up about 1300 calories doing this ride!!!!

If I can make this, then I'm definitely planning to sign up to do a 60 mile ride that 's being offered in the area in October.

Goal--be doing a "century" (100 miles) by this time next year!

if you don't hear from me by noon, call in the search and rescue! :tongue:

JUST KIDDING! Mr. Shorerider will be hanging out by the phone in case I need to call for pick-up.

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok gang--I've got a 30 mile route all planned out (thanks for the person who mentioned something about mapmyrun and mapmyride.com--great for planning!!) and am planning on getting up in the morning and hitting the road about 7:30am.

This will be my longest ride to date, beating my current longest by 10 miles. Planning on loading up on carbs for breakfast so I don't go "low" with my sugar during my ride, so am going to fix 3 pieces of French Toast (light wheat bread and sugar-free syrup) with cereal, toast, sausage, and apple. Then I'm taking an apple along with me, too.

According to mapmyride.com, given my average speed, it should take me about 2.5 hours (i'm thinking closer to 3 though) and I should burn up about 1300 calories doing this ride!!!!

If I can make this, then I'm definitely planning to sign up to do a 60 mile ride that 's being offered in the area in October.

Goal--be doing a "century" (100 miles) by this time next year!

if you don't hear from me by noon, call in the search and rescue! :tongue:

JUST KIDDING! Mr. Shorerider will be hanging out by the phone in case I need to call for pick-up.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Good luck! :flowerforyou: very impressive.

And not that I don't think you can do it... but I was glad to read that the Mr will be available in case your "carbs" give out and you need assistance
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'm not worrying too much about the carbs but more about my legs!!

Also, though I'd post this so I wouldn't wake up tomorrow and chicken out--you guys can hold my toes the fire if I don't do this! Of course, I reserve the right to postpone in case of rain. After all, I don't work for USPS, so don't do rain. :tongue:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Shorerider...love the goals (short and long term) :heart:

:heart: your attitude and your zest for health.

Go gettum kiddo!!

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • Singinladeda
    Options
    Oh my gosh I'm so excited for you! Please let us know tomorrow how it all went tomorrow when you return!
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it. My weight loss efforts have founded a cycling club. When I first started over 2 years ago I could not ride around the block without feeling the effort. Now, I am down to 237 and I have learned so very much. After a year of sporatic riding I was able to do 50 and then 75 a day. You might want to look around your area and see when and where the next MS 150 is going to be. Its about 75 miles a day and includes an opportunity to do a century. My first year, out of 1200 riders I came in dead last. The next year I finished the century in the top third. I KNOW you can do it.
    I am now riding between 60 and 80 miles a week. I still have many pounds to loose. I am getting there and so will you! Be safe out there! Write me if you have a question.
    www.myspace.com/cyclemission
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    WOW-- Good job-- Enjoy your ride
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can do it! While you are riding, don't listen to your legs. Your legs will always tell you "no, please stop!" but it is so worth continuing. When I started 4 summers ago, I hated to ride my bike; now I love it. It can be such a peaceful form of exercise. I did 27.5 miles Tuesday morning at 6 a.m; and plan to ride for 2 1/2 hours tomorrow if the weather allows it. Enjoy the ride!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    WOW! Good luck to you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I know you can do it. My weight loss efforts have founded a cycling club. When I first started over 2 years ago I could not ride around the block without feeling the effort. Now, I am down to 237 and I have learned so very much. After a year of sporatic riding I was able to do 50 and then 75 a day. You might want to look around your area and see when and where the next MS 150 is going to be. Its about 75 miles a day and includes an opportunity to do a century. My first year, out of 1200 riders I came in dead last. The next year I finished the century in the top third. I KNOW you can do it.
    I am now riding between 60 and 80 miles a week. I still have many pounds to loose. I am getting there and so will you! Be safe out there! Write me if you have a question.
    www.myspace.com/cyclemission

Actually, they just had the local MS ride last week here but only offered a Century and a Metric Century. I know I'm not ready for either yet--but next year, watch out!!!!
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Actually, they just had the local MS ride last week here but only offered a Century and a Metric Century. I know I'm not ready for either yet--but next year, watch out!!!!

Haha! One Virginian to another....I was just getting ready to write you and say that you can totally do it!!! I have a friend who rode to Williamsburg this weekend. Best of luck. I know you'll be so proud when you finish your route.:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement--no turning back now. I just managed to eat 630 calories (97 carbs and 22 fat grams!) for breakfast! If I don't go, I won't be eating much of anything for the rest of the day, so off I go!

sport-smiley-5525.gif
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Go Shorerider, GO! I look forward to hearing about the ride.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That is so great that you're pushing yourself that hard. I'm sure it will go great for you! I can't wait to hear all about it..eat an extra sausage for me:love:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Damn! 30 miles. Kick *kitten* Shore! I know I couldn't ride 30!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks, Banks--but I couldn't do running like you do either-I hate running! God had humanity invent wheels for a reason--so we wouldn't have to run anymore :tongue:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ha! true, right there with ya. But I guess, without running there would be no baseball, and that would make me sad, because I LOVE my games (fyi, my uniform top is WAAAY to big for me now. lol!).

SteveH60108.jpg