Running Attire

gdunn55
gdunn55 Posts: 363
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I got the shoes part covered, but with me running a 5k and a 10k, I'm not sure what one really wears.. When I work out and run at the gym I usually have on a t-shirt and a pair of Adidas basketball shorts.. Is that the norm for these races or do I need to go and look for a pair of running shorts so I can show off my pale white, hairy thighs?

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    There's no ettiquite. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I would however think about a tech tee of some kind for a longer race. The moisture wicking is a nice benefit. There's no rules. Only what performs best for you.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    i LOVE the nike dry stuff! they get the sweat right off your body without feeling wet. they're a lil pricey but it's not like you need a whole bunch of stuff for one race out of a few weeks.
  • gdunn55
    I got several Under Armour shirts I wear already. I think for the 5k I'm gonna buy a gold and black one (represents the colors of the college I went to) and for the 10k a maroon and white one (colors are from the company I work for official logo since it was them that got me off the couch and into the gym a few years back).
  • I really don't think there's any rules about it - certainly don't go out and buy anything! What you have sounds fine - just make sure it's comfortable. I wear a long sleeved thin top (it's cold here) and a former pair of PJ bottoms that look exactly like jogging bottoms!
  • gdunn55
    I guess I was looking for more like tips.. Ha.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    You run in what you're comfortable in. Personally I like proper running kit, because of the wicking capacity of the fabric, general fit and the fact that running kit won't chafe like standard cotton, but people are different and if you want to run in a cottom top and baggy trousers, do it. Your comfort is all that matters. There is no point in getting a load of lycra if it only makes you feel subconscious.
  • Im doing a 10k too in march!!! But ill just be wearing my basketball shorts and shirt lol
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I love my compression pants vs shorts. I find if I run over 13 miles I get chaffing. So make sure no cotton. I also like to have something with a pocket to carry my phone or my keys in. My socks are the compression socks with toes by Injinji as suggested by my DPM.

Also, I wear a top layer if it's cold in the AM that you can tie around your waist.
  • gdunn55
    I'm hoping for the 10k, my girlfriend will get up and hold my keys for me while I run, haha. The 5k might be a little different. Might have to use the ol OnStar feature.
  • Wear what feels comfortable. Some of the running shorts seem to ride up (which isn't very attractive in pics!) so I put tights underneath if it's chilly out. Wearing cotton t-shirts can be a pain because it just holds sweat in. I prefer a wicking shirt in that case. In warm weather I like to wear soccer shorts by adidas...they have the wicking material & are longer so if they ride up a bit it's not uncomfortable.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I am firmly in the "anything that can chafe will chafe" camp, so I tend to go with running capris or tights (haven't gotten to warm weather yet, but might do compression shorts under running shorts) for the non-chafing factor and the moisture wicking. And tech shirts on top, again for the wicking.

It is strongly advised among runners to NOT wear the race shirt until after you've finished it. It's all kinds of bad juju to wear it before or during. (Or else it just makes you look like a total noob. Hee!)
  • gdunn55
    Thanks Verticalchaos.. I'll keep the shirt suggestion in mind. I'd prefer my UA shirts anyways.. But it gives me another t-shirt to wear during the summer when I'm out and about.
  • Beth720
    Thanks Verticalchaos.. I'll keep the shirt suggestion in mind. I'd prefer my UA shirts anyways.. But it gives me another t-shirt to wear during the summer when I'm out and about.

Yep! :D The one time pretty much everyone ended up wearing the shirt was a 10K I did on an island where it was freakishly cold and windy. It sort of got mutually agreed upon that given how no one expected it to be THAT cold we could all wear the layer. Hee!
  • gdunn55
    I know the 5k I'm running you get the shirt afterwards.. Maybe the 10k too.. Who knows.. That's the least of my worries. I gotta get my big *kitten* in better shape so I can hit the 10k, haha.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    I've seen a wide array of outfits, everyone just seems to wear what they are comfortable in. Make sure to try out any outfit ahead of time! You don't want to get a half mile in and start chafing or something! Best to find out it doesn't work on the treadmill where you can stop and do something about it!! ahhahaha
    I personally will be wearing the brightest tights ever!!! with a running skirt and a hoody for my 5k tomorrow! Weather permiting! And since I will have a bunch of friends with me this time, there will be pics! Oh yes, there will be pics!! hahhaaha
  • Beth720
    Now, dressing to course marshall a half marathon in single-digit temps? (Yes, I am clearly insane.) I will be doing my best A Christmas Stort interpretation of an overstuffed tick about to pop.

BRRRRR!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.