sodium

Options
what is the minimum amount one must consume in order to shed pounds?
i have a bad habit of eating stuff with sodium. :frown:

Replies

• forgiven4life
    Options
    MFP suggests staying under 25001 mg/day. I have a problem with this as well. Just started tracking sodium and it's been off the chart!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It depends on you and your blood pressure response. If you have normal blood pressure, you can supposedly safely go up to 2300 mg. If you have high blood pressure, you should limit it to below 1500 mg per day. That is because sodium causes water retention in the form of increased blood volume which increases blood pressure. For people who are trying to control water retention, I recommend sticking to the high blood pressure recommendation of less then 1500 mg per day even if they have normal blood pressure. Then you have people like me who have low blood pressure (This happens a lot to athletes and people who exercise regularly for years because exercise lowers blood pressure over time.) who may need to consume more sodium if their blood pressure drops too much.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been paying attention to sodium to see where it's all coming from. Lunch meats (even the lean, "healthy" kind) all fast food and anything canned is loaded with sodium (except those low sodium canned green beans). I suppose if you want to really limit sodium, really focus on plain fruits and vegetables, cook your own meat without salt, and never eat out. I don't think that's going to happen in my case anytime soon. If anyone has any ideas, please share.
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    MFP suggests staying under 25001 mg/day. I have a problem with this as well. Just started tracking sodium and it's been off the chart!

ugh it's annoying! but thanks for the info!
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    thanks for the tips guys! i haven't been doing that bad. i thought it would be worst. lol