3 day Breast Cancer Walk in D.C.

monstertwelve
monstertwelve Posts: 102
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi guys!!!:smile:

I was just wondering if anyone was doing the 3 day Breast Cancer walk?

If you are, where?

If you are doing it in D.C....so am I!!!:happy:

I'm sooo excited and even more excited to start training!!!

I have formed a team with some of my friends, so if anyone wants to join it...thats doing the walk in D.C., please do!!!:bigsmile:

Our group name is called the BOOB BRIGADE :laugh: ...(i thought it was cute!!!)...if you want more info on it...just go on the website!
http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?itc=lefthpban:212

Also what is everyone doing to raise money??? I really need ideas!!

Replies

• I live near DC and keep hearing the radio ads. It sounds like it would be cool to do, but I don't know anyone IRL who would do it with me! Have you done it before? How much do you have to raise?
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    I do not live in DC, but you are walking for a wonderful cause. I had breast cancer and several of my female relatives all had it. Some overcame it and others didn't. Thank you so much for your endeavor. Have fun, too!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    I'm not doing the walk this year but I did it a couple years ago, also in DC. Raising the money was my biggest hurdle because it's a lot of money and I am not good about asking people for money. I had a lot of success with reserving back rooms at bars and inviting my friends to parties. I could sometimes get the bar to contribute a certain portion of the proceeds. Also, we would pass around a can for donations and sell plastic pink bracelets to people. Your friends get a drink or 2 in them and they'll walk up to ANYBODY to sell a bracelet and it's not annoying because it's for charity!

Also, send a letter to EVERYONE you know. You'd be surprised the people who donate. I posted a message on my company's classified ads and got donations from coworkers I have never even met!

Best of luck to you, you'll get it done. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the money thing didn't scare me so much. It's such great training and if you haven't done the walk before, it'll be one of the best experiences of your life. I was so pumped that after 60 miles, I actually ran the last block or 2 and running through the crowd at the end was intense. Hundreds of people on both sides of you screaming their heads off and reaching out to give you high fives - you feel like a rock star!

Good luck!!!!
  • I live near DC and keep hearing the radio ads. It sounds like it would be cool to do, but I don't know anyone IRL who would do it with me! Have you done it before? How much do you have to raise?

i actually have not done it before but have wanted to for years!!

and you have to raise $2,300 per walker!!! sooo...thats gonna be the hard part!!

a lot of my coworkers wanted to do it...so see if any of them are interested!

orrrrrrrr...you can just do it with me and my friends!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • I do not live in DC, but you are walking for a wonderful cause. I had breast cancer and several of my female relatives all had it. Some overcame it and others didn't. Thank you so much for your endeavor. Have fun, too!

oohhhh thank you and i am sooo glad that you were able to fight that horrible disease! :flowerforyou:
    and im soo sorry about your friends who werent as lucky!:cry:
  • I'm not doing the walk this year but I did it a couple years ago, also in DC. Raising the money was my biggest hurdle because it's a lot of money and I am not good about asking people for money. I had a lot of success with reserving back rooms at bars and inviting my friends to parties. I could sometimes get the bar to contribute a certain portion of the proceeds. Also, we would pass around a can for donations and sell plastic pink bracelets to people. Your friends get a drink or 2 in them and they'll walk up to ANYBODY to sell a bracelet and it's not annoying because it's for charity!

Also, send a letter to EVERYONE you know. You'd be surprised the people who donate. I posted a message on my company's classified ads and got donations from coworkers I have never even met!

Best of luck to you, you'll get it done. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the money thing didn't scare me so much. It's such great training and if you haven't done the walk before, it'll be one of the best experiences of your life. I was so pumped that after 60 miles, I actually ran the last block or 2 and running through the crowd at the end was intense. Hundreds of people on both sides of you screaming their heads off and reaching out to give you high fives - you feel like a rock star!

Good luck!!!!

haha i like your method!!!

i was going to do some sort of sale...like bake sale and/or yard sale but i just dont see how that would make my goal! but your idea is smart!!!

did you make the bracelets or buy them??

i havent done it yet but cant wait for september to come!!! its gonna be awesome!!!
  • HMKan
    We bought the bracelets. There is a ton of stuff out there you can buy for super cheap and then sell for a buck or 2. We bought a bunch of bracelets (super super inexpensive) and sold them for a buck each and more often then not, people gave us $5 for them. There are a lot of things out there you can buy that are designed to be sold as fundraisers for this cause.

You're going to do great. It's so satisfying and you meet so many wonderful women (even men) and hear their touching stories! Best experience ever.
  • We bought the bracelets. There is a ton of stuff out there you can buy for super cheap and then sell for a buck or 2. We bought a bunch of bracelets (super super inexpensive) and sold them for a buck each and more often then not, people gave us $5 for them. There are a lot of things out there you can buy that are designed to be sold as fundraisers for this cause.

You're going to do great. It's so satisfying and you meet so many wonderful women (even men) and hear their touching stories! Best experience ever.

thanks for this!!!! i really appreciate it!!! its a great idea...one i may have to steal!!! hehe
  • HMKan

thanks for this!!!! i really appreciate it!!! its a great idea...one i may have to steal!!! hehe

Let me know if you need any other info. And let me know where your fundraisers are! I love supporting that cause!
  • [/quote]
    Let me know if you need any other info. And let me know where your fundraisers are! I love supporting that cause!
    [/quote]

ok great...will do!!!!!!:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.