What would you do?

bethvandenberg
bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so ending my third week of P90X however, I've not made all the workouts. I've skipped yoga all but once and have lagged on Kenpo as well. So here's my question, Should I redo a week of it before I move on or just stick with the schedule and motor on?

I was having issues with not enough calories and it seemed that every other day I was completely exhausted and now I think I've fixed that. :)

Can't wait to hear and I'll make my decision based on what y'all say. of course majority rules.

Thanks for the input in advance

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Firstly, congrats on taking on P90X...I don't quite dare yet! :laugh:

Therefore, as I haven't done it, I have to say my advice is based on other programs - but I would redo the week. As with anything, I think if you want the best results, it's best to do it "properly" even if it means taking a little step back. Especially as you have figured out a reason why you were struggling - you might get a nice suprise! :happy:

I had a repeat week 7 of couch 2 5 k... but I was glad I did, it was so much easier after that!

Good luck whatever you decide!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Out of personal guilt I would spend the next week doing the Yoga and Kenpo to make up for it and then move on.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    I say repeat the week.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Yeah, I'd say redo it until you do it right, to make sure you're ready to move on. I'm doing JM's 30 Day Shred, and I'm on level 2 but I know I'm cheating b/c I can't do some of them yet. I'm not going to move up till I can do it right for 10 days--otherwise, level 3 might be a bunch of stuff I REALLY can't do/am not ready for!
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    It's a grueling, long program. It's long enough without redoing stuff you couldn't push through fully the first time around. Don't repeat the week, and just do your best next time around.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    I agree with everyone else, redo the week. You will feel so much better once you have done it all and then you know you will be fully ready to move on to the next week. :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I was in fairly good shape having just finished a marathon when I started P90X at the end of week 3 - I was exhausted. Week 4 however, is the recovery week. What a world of difference it made, I was ready for it. I felt renewed and ready for week 5. I just finished week 7 and week 8 started today with a recovery week, again, I'm ready for it. I can feel my muscles on the verge of overuse or fatigue. I've had to up my calories. It took me until this past week and some reading on the P90X board to really get Kenpo. I've not missed the yoga, but if you have the Fountain of Youth DVD, it may be more your ability to commit to. I've skipped the stretching, as I decided to sleep in instead :) My suggestion would be do the recovery week and if you think you need to take an extra recovery week, do it there before moving on. It's a little more cardio and less strength training, may remotivate you.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    I would redo it.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Yeah, I'd say redo it until you do it right, to make sure you're ready to move on. I'm doing JM's 30 Day Shred, and I'm on level 2 but I know I'm cheating b/c I can't do some of them yet. I'm not going to move up till I can do it right for 10 days--otherwise, level 3 might be a bunch of stuff I REALLY can't do/am not ready for!

Personally I found level 3 of the Shred much easier than Level 2. I HATED Level 2. (Of course I also did it all the way through with modifiers.)
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    I like the suggestion of doing the recovery week. I personally would keep to the schedule and not repeat the week. Now if I got to the end of the 90 days and don't like the results, I would make sure not to skip a week the next round.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I like the suggestion of doing the recovery week. I personally would keep to the schedule and not repeat the week. Now if I got to the end of the 90 days and don't like the results, I would make sure not to skip a week the next round.

I haven't missed the whole week. I've just missed Kenpo last Saturday and only part of the yoga this week. So I'm with y'all about staying the course and sticking with it. If I decide at the end that the results aren't what I wanted then I can go again. :)

I'm afraid that if I redo then I'll slack again and maybe just give up. I don't want to do that. I want to stick with the 90 days not 97 lol. Life isn't perfect and neither am I so I just need to do my best and pick up where I drop off. :)
  • repeat the week for sure...almost doesnt count!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    i would just pick up where you left off. So many people restart, restart, restart and eventually get discouraged.

Also, you need to keep your calories up. i bonked out and slept for three hours on a Saturday during my first round of P90X because I wasn't eating enough. Now I'm able to do P90X or Insanity in the morning and jog at lunch, but that is with proper feeding. Take care.
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member

I haven't missed the whole week. I've just missed Kenpo last Saturday and only part of the yoga this week. So I'm with y'all about staying the course and sticking with it. If I decide at the end that the results aren't what I wanted then I can go again. :)

I'm afraid that if I redo then I'll slack again and maybe just give up. I don't want to do that. I want to stick with the 90 days not 97 lol. Life isn't perfect and neither am I so I just need to do my best and pick up where I drop off. :)
    I think you should do what feels right to you. Everyone takes a different approach to keep motivated and if you feel that redoing the week will just discourage you, then just keep going! If you would be more comfortable redoing the whole week then go ahead... if you have to skip one day because life got in the way of your workout get right back on that horse the very next day. Personally, I'm with you there. It's not like you are skipping an entire week. Like you said, life happens and it is better to stick with it and make it a habit than to give up because you feel you are not advancing. I have participated before in bootcamps and 12 week programs at the gym and through other venues and if ever a class was missed by a participant nobody ever said, sorry, you better start again. It was always, welcome back and now get to working! Enjoy the adrenaline rush! :happy:
This discussion has been closed.