Motivation

Options
What was/is your motivation to loose weight?

I have a few things that keep me motivated:
- My 10yr reunion from high school is in 2 years and I don't want to be the same "me" from high school
- I read an article before the holidays about people carrying around a lot of extra weight/fat have a 13% chance of dying after reading said article vs someone that is at a healthy weight
-The TV show "Heavy". If someone that weighs more than me (not meaning to offend anyone here) can do it, what is stopping me?

Replies

• bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. Excited to see you making a change in your life that will make you healthy and fit.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Motivation is so important and yours are awesome! Mine is a race I'm running in June--the Ragnar Relay. It's a 188-mile 2-day relay (I'll only run about 16 of those miles in 3 legs). I have to wear my tight running clothes the whole time and my body is not fit for that right now--at all! I ran it last year and I've got the shirt hanging front and center in my closet to remind me. Also, I want to fit in my skinny jeans :)
  • ang2803
    ang2803 Posts: 39
    Options
    I use the "if a 400 lb person can do it then why can't I if Im half that size??" for motivation too. It makes me think that I am just lazy and can push myself to do it with that thought in my head.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Those are great motivators! Mine are not wanting to buy any more jeans (I just want to get back to my smaller ones instead of continually getting bigger!), and not wanting to look pregnant anymore. I carry a lot of my weight in my tummy, so from the front I look pretty ok, but from the side I look about 5 or 6 months pregnant. Which would be fine, you know, if I actually WERE pregnant. But I'm not. :laugh: I also feel better overall when I'm at a "normal" weight, and with my depression I need all the help I can get to feel good, so I not only want to lose weight, but also get into an exercise routine to keep my brain making those feel-good chemicals to keep me off medication. When I work out regularly, I don't feel so down and paranoid, so I want to make it part of my daily routine.
  • thickangel
    thickangel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Biggest Motivation for me was watching Biggest Loser and coming to the conclusion that I dont have to be there working out 8 hours a day to get the same results. I can be home with my family and take 90 minutes 3 times a week for ME!
    I also have a picture of me from 2001 when I was doing modeling and seeing how happy I was. I joined a kickboxing class (even though its tough) I only do what I can do and it truely is a WORKOUT! I do that 3 days a week (i had to schedule myself so that I dont find a reason not to go)...
    GOOD LUCK to everyone to reaching their goals!
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Getting on my horse from the ground and not knocking him over. Usually have to find something to stand on and don't get off, EVER. Sorta hard when on a long ride and have to pee.....HAHAHA....argh...I think if I lose the lbs and keep exercising I will be much more limber and be able to reach my short legs far enough to get into the stirrup.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 last year and had promised myself I wouldn't be fat for this decade like I was for my 30s and 40s.
    Well, here I am, halfway to 51 and I'm still fat. Like it or not, my senior years are now closer than my youth and I'm realizing that I DO NOT want to spend them debilitated by my excess weight.

My friend at work, who has a weight issue as well, started her program and something about her attitude had changed from all the other times she'd been trying and it was inspiring to me.
    Then I went to my doctor for something unrelated and she told me that she had lost 85 lbs with the help of MFP. My doctor is very slim and you'd never know that she had ever had to lose that much. That inspired me as well. And her words, which we've all heard from others before ... "If I can do it, anybody can." suddenly didn't seem like a cliché.

Like a lot of us, I still want to claim skinny jeans for myself and look good in clothes and feel vibrant and alive. I want to be able to participate in life rather than just look on watching others have all the fun.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!