Trip North

Options
Ok does anyone have any suggestions for me...
Here is my situation...I am taking a trip this weekend to a trailer in the middle of no where...where they catch fish and fry it up and they cook "quick" foods...aside from making a total separate meal from everyone else...any suggestions on healthy "camping" meals? Please help me I leave on Friday and I have no idea what to do...

Replies

• Lexiemama
    Lexiemama Posts: 10
    Options
    Ok does anyone have any suggestions for me...
    Here is my situation...I am taking a trip this weekend to a trailer in the middle of no where...where they catch fish and fry it up and they cook "quick" foods...aside from making a total separate meal from everyone else...any suggestions on healthy "camping" meals? Please help me I leave on Friday and I have no idea what to do...
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Well, fish is good for you--maybe you could just cook that someway other than fried? Even then, it can't be but so high in calories unless they coat it in tons of breading and deep fry it.

Not sure what kind of "quick" foods but maybe you could take along some of your own "quick" foods to share--get them eating healthy along with you!

And, if you're out in the country, you can hike during the day to burn off some of those calories, right?

Sounds like a great vacation to me!

Oh, and when we used to "rough" camp it, I'd cook stuff up like pasta and sauce and seal it in ziplocks bags--then just drop in some hot water for few at camp and have a great tasting meal. So maybe you could make something like that to take along--but a healthier version of stuff like that anyway!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could grill your fish in alluminum foil, make a stew or soup with chicken breast ( white chilly, vegetable soup, turkey chilly) I like cucumbers with salad dressing..... veggie tray, popcorn ( low fat) greek salad ( cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes with feta cheese in a olive oil ( sparingly) lemmon dressing) For snacks fruit with yogurt, or peanut butter or cheese. I used to make a german potatoe salad that wasn't too bad on calories...I don't know what you like so it's kind of hard to sugest things. I hope this gave you some ideas, you might want to look in the recepies , there are some great low fat muffins in there and diet pop cake....
    I hope you'll have a great time:drinker: