Unique Challenges of being 40 Something

Options
I really appreciate all the support that is given on this site. So many different people and unique stories. However, age is a factor in our personal stories. Being 45 years old, I am interested to hear about the particular challenges and successes others are having at weight loss and fitness training while in their 40's.

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    In my 50's and the only change in me is the weight does not come off as easily as it came on. Plus I have to be extra careful how I do my exercise. Pulled a back/side muscle and it took me down. 4 days later it is a little better. Least I'm not close to passing out from the pain.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I will be 42 this year. I have found that my hormones play a major role in my weight loss! As we age we lose muscle and I have found this to be true...its much harder to get toned! Not saying it cant be done but it takes longer. its very depressing! I look at my body and think UGH!
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and female. The challenges I've discovered: I definitely notice that it's harder to lose weight, and SO much easier to gain weight, compared to when I was younger. In my 20's as long as I was exercising regularly, I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Now I have to monitor closely what I eat to avoid gaining. I'm in maintenance mode right now with my weight, and it requires dedication. I also get injured more easily, again in my 20's I could do whatever I wanted and never got injured! Now I have to pay attention to my joints and my back, and give them more respect!

The successes for me: I've discovered that focusing more on core strength prevents injuries that I never needed to worry about when I was younger. So I've incorporated a lot more core work into my exercise; when I was younger, I threw in a few crunches and called it good. Another thing that prevents injuries is working up to things more gradually, I had to get out of the habit of just jumping into some activity without training. Also, even though it's harder to lose weight, it's not impossible. I do more strength training than when I was young, as well as cardio, and I eat cleaner, and it does work, it's just harder than when I was younger. My highest weight was around 168, and right now I'm at 148 and healthy.